Outboard bracket shopping

Started by Timm R Oday25, Sep 27, 2024, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm R Oday25

The pad that our outboard is screwed to has been cracked since I brought home our boat 19 years ago . I finally opened up my wallet far enough to buy my dream outboard . I was shocked how heavy our new 8 horse Yamaha was . More than 30 over our '92 Johnson 2 stroke .
 I decided not to risk the new motor falling into Lake Michigan once spring comes .
I was somewhat surprised how much mulch was inside the pad that is between the outboard bracket and the hull . Where does one find just the angled pad ?
Garlick which is the maker of the current bracket doesn't offer replacement springs . Is there a source for these ?

Timm R Oday25

The bracket itselfYou cannot view this attachment.

Spot

Is screwed in just vernacular or is it really attached with screws?
I'd feel better if it was through-bolted w/ lock nuts.
I did a replacement laminated wood and epoxy pad for the motor to bracket maybe 7 years ago that is holding up fine. The bracket to hull is direct with a backing plate and stout bolts, nuts, washers.
Big dreams, small boats...

Timm R Oday25

There were 4 very long stainless carriage bolts that went through the Garlick lifting bracket , through the fiberglass covered wooden wedge through the transom . Inside the transom was inch thick wooden pads and finally nylock nuts .
My plan is an aluminum plate inside the transom followed by nylock nuts . I'm having trouble finding the wedge .
I'd prefer to buy a replacement lifting mount