Putting her to bed - for the winter

Started by Brian N., Sep 29, 2024, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

Finally admitted to myself that the season is done  :'(   Weather, family obligations, renovation of pool and patio, travel, just conspired to end the season. Not a great season overall in terms of weather and opportunity to get out. Heat, no wind, storms, travel plans, COVID were factors. Sitting in a boat on a windless day at 90+ degrees is not for me. Nor do I enjoy the challenge of bashing through rollers in 20+ knots. Yes - I'll admit I'm particular, and lost some sailing opportunities due to my own fastidiousness. Also, I mostly sail alone, but really enjoy the days I have crew, and with one son married and the other working full time, sailing without crew on very windy days becomes more difficult. My wife won't even consider it. Anyway, the boat is ready for it's winter cover, and I'm sharpening my ski edges.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

I sure hope we get more snow this season than last year Brian!

Anyway, I'm probably not too far behind you. We had our end of season fun regatta today. The boats don't need to be out until the 14th but I've got a busy week this week and will be out of town next weekend. So maybe I'll sneak another sail in before the 14th but just as likely not. I don't like to wait until the last weekend to get her out.

For the 3rd year in a row, some friends are planning a weekend trip to Lake Pepin (a wide part of the Mississippi) in later October and I may bring my boat but the last two ended up getting canceled so we'll see.

Brian N.

I'm considering some changes next year, such as keeping the boat on a mooring. I have a choice of two spots, one in the river, with its very strong current (5 minute drive) and the other about a 20 minute drive, no current but 20 minutes to motor out into the sound. Neither are secure, theft of small engines and electronics while not common, occur every summer. Both require a dingy to get out. The town does not supply the mooring, so that needs to be purchased as well and of course bottom paint. The upside is no fussing with the mast or launch and retrieve (more time sailing). Still have to deal with crazy tides. The waiting list for a town slip is years long, and the private club is open but expensive and very tight maneuvering in the smaller slips. 

Anyway lots of things going on, so that decision must wait. We are renovating the back yard patio and pool, and dealing with contractors raises my anxiety level a bit. Also had a run in with a deer, and the car insurance company estimate is way low compared to the body shop, so resolving that problem comes next. The good news is we booked a ski trip to Switzerland, and all the details are finalized.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Sorry you had kind of a bummer season Brian, not to mention all these other issues going on.

Personally, I think you'd be better off on a mooring. You would probably sail a lot more often, due to the mast and launching issues mentioned. I know I did when Rum Line was in a slip. Yes, there are a lot of up-front costs, but if you find it doesn't work out, you could always sell the mooring, dinghy, etc? The theft thing could probably be managed by making sure everything is securely locked in the cabin when you are away, and the motor padlocked to the transom. Not a guarantee, but a pretty good deterrent, and thieves would look for easier prey.

Well, in the meantime, go have a great ski trip, and you have plenty of time to think about all this.

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

I hear you Brian. Last year our roof was damaged in a hail storm and though in the long run it's actually kind of a blessing since it was getting near the end of its life and would have had to been replaced soon anyway.

This way, it was covered by insurance. We decided to add solar panels to our roof while we were at it. At first it seemed like it was all going to be super easy since the solar company also does roof replacements but it turned into a big hassle with the insurance company because they underestimated the cost due to fact that the sheathing on our old house needed to be brought up to code.

So it took awhile to get that straightened out, plus get the financing set up for the panels.

I think a mooring is a good idea for you. The 165 seems like it rigs quicker than a P18 but I'd probably join a sailing club again rather than trailer. If I had a regular sailing partner then trailering would be more practical but my wife's just not that into it. :)

The unexpected bonus of having a mooring for me has been getting to know the other people who have moorings on the lake. Having other people to sail with gets me out more often.

Theft while not rampant is a problem. I lock everything and this year I started locking my swim ladder up because I think some teenagers were using my boat as a swim platform. :)

talbot

When in doubt, go skiing. That often works out well.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Quantico Frank

There's nothing like driving 20 minutes, jumping in the boat, and going out for a sail, Brian.

I'm not quite done (I hope.) I've had a crummy season like you have for many of the same reasons you have, but I got off to a slower start than usual because I was recovering from knee-replacement surgery, then bad wx (heat and no wind, then high winds (before I changed my wx model)), and major mid-season malfunctions in both my trailer and my pintles/rudder assembly.

Maybe a couple more, I'm hoping, then I'll put her to bed. I keep thinking that what we have outside right now, 63 degrees at 0700, would be a perfectly fine summer day in Sweden, lol.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River