Now for a race north of Miami Like in Holland

Started by Norm L., Oct 16, 2024, 06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

I just got this from longtime friend and sailor Lodewijk.

This is the 2024 Windmill Cup sailed on Ijsselmeer, known to we elders as Zuider Zee. It is called the Windmill Race Regatta as it is sailed through a large offshore windfarm.

https://url.us.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/oPB0CYEr3GCNGj4hGhGFxXRQQ?domain=youtube.com

Unfortunately, all of the narrative is in Dutch with no translation. But the video is entertaining to see similar but different modern boats and the ancient freighters that I think are Skutsjes. It would be interesting to know how they handicapped it and where it fell in modern race boats.  It is a bit different than many of the freighters as it has no deckhouse. It looks a bit similar to the Thames sailing barges.
The race started and ended at a small port in Friesland on the east side of the sea. It went out to I think a bit NW toward some barrier islands and highway A7 and an amazing engineering flood gate and turned and returned back through the windfarm.
You can hang on and see the post-race party and probably wish you were there for it.