Re assemble cam cleats?

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Oct 13, 2024, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

In my ten year absence from sailing and now moving two cam cleats to a more functional location, you guessed it! I forgot they must be kept from separating, I now have a baggie full of parts. Can anyone offer instructions or a video on how to put back together. With old arthritic fingers this may have been an expensive mistake.
Thanks in advance for all or any help, and yes you can beat up on me for being old and forgetful.
Thanks Rich.

Riggerdood

Not gonna beat you up Rich - that would be elderly abuse, a felony! :o

But seriously, I believe Harken or Ronstan or one of the other manufacturers has guidelines/tutorials/videos about cam cleat re-assembly. A quick search should turn something up. One trick I've used before is a very light coating of Vaseline or similar on the bearing races, to make those tiny little Delrin bearings stay put while you're re-assembling the cleat. It doesn't take much, a very thin film will do. Too much will collect dirt and grime, which you don't want.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks, I knew you would have some good advice. Those little bearings can roll across the table faster than I can respond. This will keep me busy till spring. But with my short patients they will probably will become wall bangers!

Riggerdood

No prob, just take your time - you have all Winter after all!  ;D

Oh, and work over a bowl or concave tray that will catch any of those buggers that try to escape ...

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks, did watch a very good you tube video and think I can do it if I have not lost to many bearings.

Riggerdood

If you have lost any, I believe Defender sells replacement packs. You can do this!