News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Suggestion for new forum boards

Started by Straander, Mar 31, 2023, 02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straander

So I originally brought this up a couple years ago in the old forum but was shouted down, still hear me out.

In addition to having boards for boat manufacturers, I think it would be really useful to have boards for popular sailing regions. (California, Washington, Texas, Florida, Great Lakes). These wouldn't be places to discuss sailing in those areas, I'm sure there are many forums for that already. These would be boards specific for *trailer* sailing in the areas, where we could have discussions relevant to our particular hobby.
Examples: "the shilshole boat ramp doesn't extend far in to the water, dont show up with a keelboat at low tide." "The lake kachess boat ramp doesnt allow overnight parking since it was privatized, have an alternate plan for where to leave you car. But the island in the north end of the lake is a great place to moor overnight. " "The magnuson park boat ramp has an extremely shallow slope, bring a hitch extender". And there was the time I almost got stuck run-aground in Kenmore because I didn't know lake Washington's water level drops a foot and a half in winter.

Since I got my boat, I've had to learn so many things the hard way, it would be so useful to be able to share knowledge among locals and maybe arrange meetups and group trips.

When I brought it up before, I was just told I could make threads about that in the general board. But in my experience, most of the users of the forum stick just to the boards for their own sailboat make, any threads in general chat would have very limited reach, not to mention could crowd up the chat if they actually did get popular.

Anyways, I'll be quiet about it now~
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

Doug SC

On a kayaking form I am on there is a trip report section setup by state where this info posted by members can be found on specific locations.

DBthal

Trip reports by State or region is a good thought. It would allow sharing "local knowledge" without fragmenting other posts about boats/trailers, etc.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

CapnK

Sounds like a great idea, can't think of any reason not to do so - but I'll make it more informational, and set up a separate 'Trip Report" board for just those kinds of posts.

Do we need to mod the regions, other as I set them up? More/less/etc? Lemme know, and then we'll see if they get any use. :)