What kind and where do you mount your compass?

Started by Scooter, Jun 23, 2023, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B.

Quote from: Spot on Jun 27, 2023, 11:12 AMGorgeous companionway hatch Frank!

Thanks, OEM from ComPac. They must have access to a CNC router. That was during a three year haulout/full maintenance including bottom and all brightwork.  Used Pettit Sea Gold, don't recommend it, had the shortest life of any coating I've used.  Boat is 24/7/365 exposed to UV.  What has worked the best for me with those conditions is Silkens Cetol natural teak (3 coats) topped with cetol marine gloss (3 coats).  Actually holds up well with a maintenance coat of the gloss every year.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: Scooter on Jun 25, 2023, 11:55 AMI like the companionway hatch mount but I don't think there's enough meat there for me to make that work.

You could always add a wood plank behind it.  Maybe a thin one.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Mine sits in a bracket on a companionway "half" hatch board.  I can put in that board and mount the compass when I need it.  It's whatever came with the boat 20+ years ago - Airguide, from Chicago IL.

Spot

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jun 30, 2023, 11:34 AMMine sits in a bracket on a companionway "half" hatch board.  I can put in that board and mount the compass when I need it.  It's whatever came with the boat 20+ years ago - Airguide, from Chicago IL.

My boat had an old Airguide. I was hoping to rebuild it but it was too far gone.. :(
Big dreams, small boats...

Spot

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jun 30, 2023, 11:28 AM
Quote from: Scooter on Jun 25, 2023, 11:55 AMI like the companionway hatch mount but I don't think there's enough meat there for me to make that work.

You could always add a wood plank behind it.  Maybe a thin one.

Or short stainless steel machine screws and lock nuts and washers...
Big dreams, small boats...