News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Snipe daggerboard?

Started by Noemi - Ensenada 20, Jun 24, 2023, 05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Hi all.  My friend has a Snipe, circa 1982 or so.  Due to a mishap in maybe heavier wind than he should have been out in, he lost the daggerboard.  Can he get another somewhere?  Are the specs available?  We have another friend who could probably make one.

And yes, he will tether it next time!

Spot

I had to redo a rudder blade on an old boat but still had the old one. A friend who is also a furniture maker tack nailed it to an elm board and copied it on a shaper/router with a pattern bearing in about 30 seconds.  Can't remember if he beveled it too but I was awestruck!

Rooting around in one of the class websites might get something.
The Sunfish class website has enough details to reverse engineer the wood pieces.

Here is something for a Snipe:

https://www.snipe.org/images/2021/Handbook_21-24_letter.pdf
pg 42
You cannot view this attachment.

Big dreams, small boats...

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Thanks.  Dagger board, though, not rudder.  His was a hunk of aluminum, with some weight.

Spot

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jun 24, 2023, 07:14 PMThanks.  Dagger board, though, not rudder.  His was a hunk of aluminum, with some weight.

Noemi, the above pic is a dagger board, sorry to confuse the issue with my rudder anecdote.

Big dreams, small boats...

NickScheuer

Lost the daggerboard for Snipe #7910 when I capsized her as a teen.  Ours was galv steel. Had a new one made in a machine shop, and thereafter always secured the board with a line preventing it from coming all the way out of the case.  Beveling the edges will be some work.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: Spot on Jun 24, 2023, 07:41 PM
Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jun 24, 2023, 07:14 PMThanks.  Dagger board, though, not rudder.  His was a hunk of aluminum, with some weight.

Noemi, the above pic is a dagger board, sorry to confuse the issue with my rudder anecdote.

Oh, sorry.  I was viewing on my phone.  Thanks!  I will pass this on.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

My friend appreciates this information, but is also wondering if there would be a good place to get one already made.  New? Used?