Getting ready for 3rd big camper/Thistle trip

Started by rfrance0718, Jun 26, 2023, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

And this is the big one. I've had vans in the past but my camper has added to the fun.

In the Spring it was a trip to Fort Walton Beach for the Midwinter Championship. There, we spent 4 nights camped on the beach, and had full use of the club, restaurant, and bar. It was a great time, and of course we sailed as well.

Two weeks ago it was The Great Lakes Championship at Seneca Yacht Club in the Finger Lakes. Its a rustic old club situated on a little harbor where the Erie Canal feeder joins Seneca lake. We towed my buddy's boat over and I crewed for him. We had 3 nights camped with a view of the lake. They had parties Friday and Saturday nights, with a seriously good Zydeco band on Saturday. The regatta fee also included breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. We stuck around after racing on Sunday and went to a great winery and had dinner. They welcomed us to stay as long as we wanted at the club, but one extra night was good. BTW, I was crewing, so the skipper paid the tab and bought all the gas.

So now, in 2 weeks, I'm heading for Flathead Lake in Montana for Nationals. It's a 2000 mile haul with a stop to pick up crew in Bayfield Wisconsin. This is a week long event with 100 boats registered. About half of the field will be camping, in one form or another. Flathead is as pretty a venue as can be found anywhere. We were there in 1988 and I'm hoping that it hasn't changed too much. The sailing was tremendous last time, with big thermals coming morning and again in the afternoon. They are so predictable that the rc can set up the course before they arrive.  It's another small club where the members do much of the work. No restaurant or bar but there will be catered events most nights. My forward crew is flying in on Friday and I'll have the tent/camper compound set up for the three of us. After racing on Friday there will be a big banquet with hundreds in attendance. These don't change much from year to year, but are always a good time. On Saturday my crew flies home and Tami arrives for a week of camping in Glacier and any other place we find on the way home.

If you are getting the idea that I may enjoy the places as much as the sailing you are correct. I've been doing this for for forty years and I've enjoyed every single club that I've visited. Sometimes it's a little place like my home club, and other times it's big prestigious clubs, with all of the amenities. They don't let you camp at those places, but often there are member's boats to stay on. Once in Detroit I stayed on a brand new Beneteau 36 (I believe). How new? The owner told me to go ahead and peel the protective plastic off of the berths! The fancy clubs often set you up with a temporary membership and send you any bar and restaurant n=bills the next month.

As far as whether to skipper or crew, that's kind of a toss up. Crewing is really fun, with less pressure, and obviously less expensive. Actually, it's a little tough getting a good crew spot, and the older I get, the less hiking I do.

I'll send a report and hopefully, I can post some pics.

noelH

Wide brim hat or umbrella required up here in Bayfield Co.  Not too bad in town, but don't look up with your mouth open.  Sponge Caterpillar invasion peaks end of June through July.  Took them couple hundred years to migrate from MA.  Mature oaks are totally stripped of leaves.  In the woods sounds like drizzle falling.  It's cat poo.  Today, walking back from the mailbox I noticed a mix of Tent and Sponge.  Sponge were not an issue until about a decade ago they first appeared.  Not good for the local agri-tourism (primarily strawberries,blueberries and apples).  Both blueberry and apple plants are stripped of their foliage. Supposedly only a couple year of heavy infestations every ~10 years.  Similar to Tent Caterpillars. 

Bring back DDT ;D .

Finally some rainfall this past weekend.  But the Canadian wildfire smoke haze is back. 
Sage S15
 Vela

rfrance0718

Hmm, looking up with mouth wide open is kind of something I do. I'll try to watch my feet, placing one before the other. It sounds like my buddy's  Creelock is in the water and we'll get a chance to do some sailing.

noelH

Not sure if it is due to wildfires in Canada influencing our weather or just a poor start to the season.  If the conditions are due to the wildfires the season looks bleak.  Guessing it will take significant rainfall or wait for snowfall to control the fires.

June is usually a good wind month. Looked back at the "log" book.  No matter what happens over the next 3 days. Worst June wind ever.  That's +30 seasons windsurfing and the past 6 seasons sailing. Couple hours of quality wind to go windsurfing or wind foiling keep me happy.  For sailing I don't go unless I can get at least 1/2 day of decent wind.  Decent has been downgraded to F2 this year. Friends have an Sannabel 18 that they decided to slip this season.  Smart move.  They can easily head out and catch a short lived front and enjoy a couple hour sail without too much effort. 

June: 3 days sailing, 2 days wind foiling, 1 day windsurfing. 

Asked my neighbor who is charter skipper.  He has similar feelings.  Lots of diesel consumed. He and some other people have been working on the 3 mast, Tern Schooner Zeeto to get it back on the water.  Has been on the hard for a few years.  Launch date has been pushed back a few times due to a few more issues that needed to be dealt with.  Not missing any windy days.
Sage S15
 Vela