Things that can screw up a trip!

Started by rfrance0718, Sep 04, 2023, 09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Our Labor Day plans had us leaving for the Lake at 4:00 Friday evening, but the huricane changed our plans. In order to leave we needed Tami's  brother and sister in law to come from Atlanta to stay with Tami's dad. These plans were delayed because a cousin who lives in a mobile home in Lake City evacuated to Atlanta. She didn't want to go back until her power came on so we couldn't leave until after noon on Saturday.

Since we had some things to take care of on the boat we couldn't leave the dock until 4:00. We decided to get to the closest spot so we sailed for the bay on the North side of Kelly's Island where we could dinghy in and get dinner. So, at 6:00 I pulled the dinghy out of the seat locker for the first time this year to pump it up. We'll, it turns out that some mouse,in our garage attack, had decided that chewing holes through the dinghy and making a pink insulation nest inside was a thing.

We didn't have much food on board so Tami called the marina on the South side. They said that they had 2 spots but it was first come, first serve. We motored the 1/2 hour around and we're lucky enough to grab the last spot.

We were pretty tired by then but we made it to dinner, and all ended ok.
So no anchoring out this weekend, which is ok. We had a reservation at Middle Bass for Sunday night.

Now I'm wondering about patching one inch holes in the pvc. At least I know where they are. Has anyone done such a thing? I bought patching material and glue last year. It should be good.

Norm L.

Sorry about the hole in the lifeboat, but everyone should be jealous of you being there, although it is a bit warm.

The omnipotent YouTube should be able to guide you. Since it really isn't a lifeboat, a patch should be fine. If it was more important, I'd be a bit worried about the longevity of a patch.
But being well aware that Capt. Ron's statement, If it's going to happen it's going to happen out there, is true as I made part of our living from what happened out there and know unexpected things do happen.
While it's not very nautical, belt and suspenders thought is good thought.

Now this gives all the wise ones out there the opportunity to come up with a nautical version of belt and suspenders.

Doug SC

Quote from: Norm L. on Sep 04, 2023, 12:41 PMSorry about the hole in the lifeboat, but everyone should be jealous of you being there, although it is a bit warm.

The omnipotent YouTube should be able to guide you. Since it really isn't a lifeboat, a patch should be fine. If it was more important, I'd be a bit worried about the longevity of a patch.
But being well aware that Capt. Ron's statement, If it's going to happen it's going to happen out there, is true as I made part of our living from what happened out there and know unexpected things do happen.
While it's not very nautical, belt and suspenders thought is good thought.

Now this gives all the wise ones out there the opportunity to come up with a nautical version of belt and suspenders.

Anchors and Drogues

rfrance0718

Yes! We worked it all out and had a great weekend. It was hot but the lake was wonderfully cool. We took advantage and swam both days. We had nice sails Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I had pvc material and just ordered some glue. You tube video showed guy patching a hole the size of mine. (Mouse diameter)

Norm L.

I saw where the entire OSU band came out to the Put-In-Bay on the car ferry. The video of a marching band coming down a car ferry ramp in formation is not something you often see.

rfrance0718

We were at middle bass and could hear them, along with a lot of boat horn blasting. Very cool.

Riley Smith

Charlie Jones and I patched his blow-up boat. We used 3M5200 I believe on a larger, overlapping patch and clamped it until it was dry. I suppose it held because he's still alive  ;D
Riley