End of shorts and sun guard season.

Started by noelH, Sep 12, 2023, 12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

Our schizo weather continues.  3 days in a row of 90 or warmer at the house in Sept.  90s don't happen up here along the Lake.  Need to go couple miles inland.  Even then very rare.  Day after the last 90.  High temp struggled to reach 60F. Now a streak of rainy days.  Almost more rain has fallen so far in Sept then May through August.  Last night areas of Duluth, MN (couple hours W) had over 6".  We need the rain. Northern half of Bayfield Co has been either in extreme or severe drought.  With our ever later first snowfall the risk for Autumn forest fires increases significantly under these drought conditions. 

Back to long pants and adding layers the further offshore.  At least my younger family members wouldn't be embarrassed.  I prefer cargo pockets and shorts that sometimes fall below the top of knee caps.  Boardshort lengths with cargo pockets are more practical for sailing and surfing. Kneecaps have less chance of nonskid abrasion. More spf 30 coverage yet cooler than short shorts.   
Sage S15
 Vela

Riley Smith

Yes, I had the vain hope that summer was over here until the sweat got in my eyes and blinded me. ;D
Riley

Spot

38 degrees F at the grass field airport nearby...and I got 2 tubes worth of 5200 mid-cure out on the boat. The rest of the days and nights this week are all above the lower limit of 40 F. Application day was 80 F so I hope the curing reaction was well initiated.
Big dreams, small boats...

Timm R Oday25

We just got back from Texas a few days ago . That's a whole nother level of hot . I'm ok with the temps being where they are for awhile . I have porch to build and plenty of wood to split . If I get done with those two projects ,I might even have time to work on the Oday .
Us folks at the bottom side of Wisconsin haven't had much rain all year either .
The biggest plus side to this has been almost a complete lack of mosquitos !

Riley Smith

Quote from: Spot on Sep 13, 2023, 11:05 AM38 degrees F at the grass field airport nearby...
I love grass fields! They have the coolest planes!
Riley

Spot

The one by us often launches sailplanes.

We are looking at a warm and windy few days here, mid 80's F and 10-15MPH S winds. If only I had a sailboat ready...making progress on re-hanging the blade on the big boat and repairing the damage to the Sunfish that nearly lost a gudgeon mid-lake a couple weekends back. I may go for an early or late paddle to get some water around me if all else fails.

Captain Kidd

Seasonal temps here but DRY!!!!!

tjspiel

80s this weekend. 50s next weekend.

Boat is coming out Monday. :)

Brian N.

Record rainfall here on Long Island (NY), nearly 9 inches over 2 days, with cool temps. However, tomorrow Monday, all systems seem to point to one last sail. Nice SW breeze, and high tide is around 2pm, which for me means a window from about 12 noon until 4pm. My youngest, (22 YO son) wants to skipper, with myself as crew. I've promised not to get in the way.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riley Smith

It got into the 60s before daylight this morning (68F). I had notions of getting the boat out but there were other things going on, so I didn't. Very warm in the afternoons though, with it still 90F. No rain...the grass at the Labrot House on the beach is crunchy  :P
Riley

Spot

We hit 90 today. I was doing some epoxy work and the last bit in the cup went exothermic when I moved from shade to sun to fill in a few screw holes. I did not make it to the lake but got the big boat off the stands and back on its trailer and a large hole patched on another boat.

noelH

Shorts and sun guard day today.  Oct 1, upper 80's and windless.  Oct 2, mid-80s and mostly nice F3-4 with gusts into F5 day on the Bay.  Just out of the mouth of the Bay after couple +3 mile tacks and .... Wind totally died. Too hot, to much pitching and rolling at sub 1 kt.  Dropped the sails and started motoring home. Wind mirage approaching from the S.  Nope. Solid 10-11kts, but sustained gusts ~20kts. Another ~10nm and couple hours later back close to the marina entrance.  Good thing. Wind totally dropped again. 

Our normal high temps are about 20F cooler.  Just a weird year regarding the weather and wind. The last 7 of 8 days in Sept it rained.  A nice soaker.  Perfect for recharging our severe to extreme drought condition topsoil. 

Forecast for this weekend. Highs in the 40sF.  I think I figured out the temperature pattern. Either 20 degrees colder or hotter than normal highs.  All to seasonal average out just a few degrees warmer than normal.
Sage S15
 Vela