Apostle Islands Trailer Sailor Cruise!

Started by LakeShark, Mar 14, 2024, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

Home is just outside of Bayfield, but home marina is the Washburn Marina.

Now that I have a proper anchor I just need to figure out how to use it.  Seriously.  I have set an overnight anchor just once in my life. Vela only had a #2 Mantus dinghy anchor until last season. #2 works nice for an emergency brake and lunch hook.  But considering how things rapidly change on L. Superior.  No way for overnight anchoring.

August isn't really Fall/Autumn.  Mid-Sept to early October is the beginning of Autumn sailing. The Apostle Is.biting black flies could be intense in August. Choices could be fly attack or anchor on the onshore side and hope things stay quiet during the night.

Sage S15
 Vela

LakeShark

Quote from: noelH on Apr 10, 2024, 06:00 PMHome is just outside of Bayfield, but home marina is the Washburn Marina.

Now that I have a proper anchor I just need to figure out how to use it.  Seriously.  I have set an overnight anchor just once in my life. Vela only had a #2 Mantus dinghy anchor until last season. #2 works nice for an emergency brake and lunch hook.  But considering how things rapidly change on L. Superior.  No way for overnight anchoring.

August isn't really Fall/Autumn.  Mid-Sept to early October is the beginning of Autumn sailing. The Apostle Is.biting black flies could be intense in August. Choices could be fly attack or anchor on the onshore side and hope things stay quiet during the night.

True there can be biting flies and they are a nuance.  But they also die rather quickly with a wack from a flipflop!  When it comes to weather we do our best and plan the days destination based upon the wind and weather once we arrive.  I have anchored many times in the apostles and it's amazing just how calm the lee side of the islands can be.  Particularly in a trailer boat with a shallow draft we can often tuck within talking distance to the shore in just a few feet of water so the water can be very calm. 

Stockton provides about the closets thing to a "harbor" on the islands and Madelyn has a good marina as well should weather arrive.  Then there is always the option of running for Bayfield or one of the other marinas along the mainland to keep everyone safe.  While the Lake can be dangerous and the water cold it can also be a very enjoyable time with the proper precautions taken.  Are you going to come along this year?
"If anythings gonna happen, its gonna happen out there" Capt. Ron Rico

Spot

How much 'hook' are the C22's using in the Apostles?
Big dreams, small boats...

LakeShark

I Use a standard danforth for my C22.  Nothing super large.  Standard 5 or 7 to 1 scope but I do like about a boat length of chain.  That part may be a bit overkill.  Most anchorages are in about 5 feet or so. 
"If anythings gonna happen, its gonna happen out there" Capt. Ron Rico

noelH

Quote from: LakeShark on Apr 11, 2024, 12:08 PM
Quote from: noelH on Apr 10, 2024, 06:00 PMHome is just outside of Bayfield, but home marina is the Washburn Marina.

True there can be biting flies and they are a nuance.  But they also die rather quickly with a wack from a flipflop!  When it comes to weather we do our best and plan the days destination based upon the wind and weather once we arrive.  I have anchored many times in the apostles and it's amazing just how calm the lee side of the islands can be.  Particularly in a trailer boat with a shallow draft we can often tuck within talking distance to the shore in just a few feet of water so the water can be very calm. 

Stockton provides about the closets thing to a "harbor" on the islands and Madelyn has a good marina as well should weather arrive.  Then there is always the option of running for Bayfield or one of the other marinas along the mainland to keep everyone safe.  While the Lake can be dangerous and the water cold it can also be a very enjoyable time with the proper precautions taken.  Are you going to come along this year?

Probably not. There is a reason I prefer single-handed sailing ;D. Normally sail between 30 to 50 days a season and windsurf another 16-24 days on L.Superior. Last year was pathetic. Late start and early end. Only 14 days of sailable wind from mid-May to mid-Sept and IIRC we went windsurf foiling (F3-4 days) or windsurfing (solid F4 or greater) maybe 14 days. Not sure if the Canadian forest fires created some unusual weather fronts. Nothing is "normal" anymore.  Normal August winds use to trend to be inconsistent. With the exception of last season. August has delivered some of our best windsurfing sessions. Only one "epic" day last August. Solid E/SE F6 day created some nice launch ramps.

Pop up summer thunderstorms can catch you. My bare pole knockdown experience was a bit more than "interesting". Neighbor has a 49 footer. Similar event but anchored off Cat Is.when he saw the clouds develop.  Set the "storm" anchor, but didn't have time to do more much more. His tender with I think a 5hp Honda and a reserve gas can was rag dolled at the end of its line and flipped. Both of us were out on days without any forecasted bad weather.  Nearshore marine forecast tend to be iffy.  Heard the emergency marine notice, but it was for the Northshore.  Then saw the clouds suddenly appear overland to the NW. Just slightly into the West Channel. Came about and headed home.  Just in case. IIRC less than 1nm from Washburn Marina, sunny but the bad feeling. Looked W. Just enough time to drop and lash down the sails and hook in. Not a pleasant sight to see the tops of the waves shear off into a white mist. Off course behind the wall of wind was zero wind, sunny sky. 2nd time in my life experiencing straight line wind on L. Superior.

More than flip flops needed to deal with the flies if a hatching occurs. Only thing I have found effective.  Picardin if you use 20% strength.  Or hope for days like today. F5 built to F7 NE. Forecast was correct.
Sage S15
 Vela

Spot

Thanks. I have a Danforth with a short bit of stout chain and an oversized rope rode.
Big dreams, small boats...