HELP!! Talk me down from a Bad Decision!! . . .

Started by Charles Brennan, Apr 06, 2024, 10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian S

Quote from: noelH on Apr 16, 2024, 05:47 PMJust thought of an (unpleasant) option to either motor.  Those $200 eBay 2 cycle outboards that look like a gas powered brusher, weedwacker motor attached to a shaft with a pop. They sort of resemble the Seagull.  But why? Probably a piece of unproven junk for $200 v. a real outboard with a history for $125.

I have a friend who had one of those Chinese junk outboards, Hangkai, I think, and he used it for his Impulse 21 to get out of the marina. That thing was noisier than an older 2 HP Honda air coooled motor, and those were LOUD. Anyway, the Hangkai shows on eBay at $229. I observed (and heard) one of them actually working. I thought about one for my little 10' skiff, but they are so dang noisy, I decided to just stick with my oars.

You cannot view this attachment.

tbodine88

Quote from: Charles Brennan on Apr 06, 2024, 10:32 PMI didn't buy it, reasoning that I could always go back, since nobody in North Central Florida has any inkling what that thing is.
(One guy thought it was a turn of the last Century, motor; I didn't enlighten him.)   ???
Cost effective solution, or maddening boon-doggle?

What say you?
Charles Brennan

How many motors do you have already. I have four, one is running on the big boat. So I'd fix the ones I have first.

Even though the sea gull is cute, and durable.

Good Luck

Frimi Captain

Thomas Bodine
Skipper S/V Bagatelle (Nimble Artic 26)
Skipper S/V Frimi (West Wight Potter 19)

Charles Brennan

tbodine, Your query: "How many motors do you have already." stung, just a little, due to its extreme accuracy!! :)

Uhhh . . . .  3 motors.  The 1995 15hp Johnson on Urchin works fine, the 2022 25hp Yamaha on "Short Ribs", my RIB works great and the 1998 25hp Evinrude formerly on my RIB is not currently working.  Why I got the Yamaha in the first place; got tired of fixing the Evinrude all the time, plus I loved the electric starting.  Still debating whether to part it out or fix it (one more time) and sell it.  I would indeed, need to fix and get rid of the Evinrude, to have a place to work on the Seagull.

Thanks for the Reality Check,
Charles Brennan