80 year old boat and its older sister.

Started by rfrance0718, Apr 24, 2024, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

My buddy Bob needed some help rolling his Thistle over the other day. It's #124, built in 1945. The Thistle was introduced that year. Bobby won the Nationals in 124 in 1979. He's planning on sailing Nationals this summer. Bobby is the same age as the boat. Both are in amazing condition, and both still competitive.

I've written about the project that Bobby and I are working on. It is a one off, designed and built by the Thistle's designer in 1938. Attached are some pics of each turned upside down. The project boat has an inboard rudder hung on a skeg, about 3 feet forward of the transom. That's a big difference as is the narrow beam and low freeboard. But there are similarities as well. You can also see some progress that we've made. We are just about ready for some sanding and paint.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Wolverine

"Attached are some pics of each turned upside down."

I was expecting a pic of the thistle and Bob upside down.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Norm L.

I prefer the touch of a chine for a touch of initial stability. Maybe with aging there is enough wobble one doesn't want to add water.

The rudder position makes one wonder about the handling with that pivot point.

noelH

Again, impressed with the effort to restore and maintain old boats.  Thanks for sharing the images.
Sage S15
 Vela