News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Storms!

Started by Riley Smith, May 19, 2024, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

The weather in Mississippi has been....unsettled. To say the least. We've had several torrential downpours, lightning, wind, and I'm sure a tornado or two, you name it. After Thursday and Fridays storms, it got so warm, humid, and heavy yesterday it was amazing and after a few hours it cooled down and the humidity went back down. Lot of wind involved in all this weather, too. Serious weather, not some local thunderstorm.
 My wife had plans to travel upstate and spend the night with a friend before attending a meeting the next day. But she couldn't get in because a bridge was UNDERWATER. Every creek, ditch, river, and slough is peaked out or more. The Pascagoula River a week ago was around 5ft. Today it is at 17ft and predicted to go to flood stage at 22' by Wednesday. Minor flood stage they call it, but any more rain and it will become MAJOR. We almost NEVER get a west wind (270 deg.) as it usually sticks at SW ( 225 deg.) before switching to the NW (315 deg.), but it was stuck in that quadrant last week. I'm real glad I made it to the dock Thursday evening after raiding the FL 120. Me and the Good Lord had been talking and I knew the storm that arrived here late Thursday pm was coming. I wasn't on the water but was showered, fed, and asleep in that marshmallow bed when it hit. I left the boat outside and let the rain wash all the salt off  :)
Riley

Riley Smith

Conversely, a week makes a big difference in the weather, and there's a High Pressure finally sitting around. I'm setting up by the pool to shoot some pics. And fighting with the cat. She's old as hell, just like me, but we like to go at it. Summer is here. The grass is growing and the mower is down again. What ELSE is new? :)
Riley

Brian N.

We are also having a beautiful stretch of weather, and my wife and I took advantage to open the pool. Friday appears to be the best opportunity to get the boat out for a few hours. The cats are content to sit in the window and lay in the sun. 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Captain Kidd

Looks like the FL120 missed a beautiful stretch of weather by just a couple days.

Riley Smith

Yes, that's something you can't control when making schedule decisions several months in advance. I much rather walk outside, look around, and decide to go sailing than set a date.
Riley