Think I found a (relatively) easy way to replace the centerboard pennant.

Started by tjspiel, May 19, 2024, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

I was at a party last night on "baby beach". I was familiar with the main beach and "little" beach but not baby beach. Baby beach is not an official beach but it's a small sandy/soft area that drops off slowly.

Based on my experience the last few seasons on the lake I know the water is as clear early in the season as it's ever going to get. And as looked over Baby Beach I realized that with a long line tied to a tree on shore and an anchor off the stern I could position the boat shallow enough that the centerboard would rest on the bottom and deep enough that the hole/knot would be exposed.

Problem is that even though the water is clear(ish), it's also still kind of cold, so today I brought the boat to baby beach along with my wetsuit, weight belt, and mask to see how feasible it would be. It was a little bit overcast but calm.

Took some underwater photos but the upload directory is full so I'll have to add those later.

Turns out my pennant isn't in too bad of shape but I may replace in the next week or two anyway just to get it done.

gary-s

Interesting approach to getting at that pennant knot Tom!
Thanks for sharing.
Sorry I missed the ZOOM meeting with you all on Friday evening.
I was busy raising my dock for the 3rd time this season. The lake continues to rise (a good thing) and I was concerned with wind forecasted for 20's gusting to 30 Saturday that my cedar dock decking might very well disappear.
Thought I'd be finished with the task in time to join the Zoom meeting but alas things usually take longer than I anticipate.
Hoping to launch my Precision this week.  Picked up some wax for the hull yesterday and will get at that on Tuesday. Started and ran my trustee Tohatsu (Nissan in my case) last week.
She started and ran smoothly on the 3rd pull!  Yeah!!!!!

tjspiel

Quote from: gary-s on May 19, 2024, 09:45 PMInteresting approach to getting at that pennant knot Tom!
Thanks for sharing.
Sorry I missed the ZOOM meeting with you all on Friday evening.
I was busy raising my dock for the 3rd time this season. The lake continues to rise (a good thing) and I was concerned with wind forecasted for 20's gusting to 30 Saturday that my cedar dock decking might very well disappear.
Thought I'd be finished with the task in time to join the Zoom meeting but alas things usually take longer than I anticipate.
Hoping to launch my Precision this week.  Picked up some wax for the hull yesterday and will get at that on Tuesday. Started and ran my trustee Tohatsu (Nissan in my case) last week.
She started and ran smoothly on the 3rd pull!  Yeah!!!!!

Looking at this forecast for this week, - you might have to raise it again. :)

Not sure why but the water has not gone up much on Lake Nokomis even though the creek is high.

Sounds like you're getting close with your boat though. Good luck !

Riggerdood

Getting close Gary! Always nice when the motor fires right up after a long period of non-use.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

CapnK

tjspiel

CapnK fixed the space problem so here's the pics:

You cannot view this attachment.

Had the day off today and it was supposed to be raining but it cleared up. So I made a trip to West Marine, picked up the new line and took care of it. Actually went easier than I thought it would.  It took longer to undo the old knot than it did to tie the new one. Had a knife to cut it if need be but it came loose on my 2nd attempt.

I taped the ends of the old and new line together and pulled it through but honestly I probably could have dropped the new line right in. It came through really easily. The path is pretty wide and straight.

The old line wasn't in too bad of shape and I have no reason to believe it had been replaced before. Not bad for almost 40 years. But most of that time was spent in a garage.

This is my 5th season with the boat and it's the first time I've ever seen the centerboard except for the leading edge. I expected it to be fairly crusty so I brought a 3M scrubby with me both yesterday and today. Cleaned up pretty good.