Electronic signal flare

Started by Brian N., May 17, 2024, 09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian N.

For about 2X the price of pyrotechnic flares I finally purchased an electronic flare. Not as bright as I expected, but they claim viability to 6 miles. The flare runs on 2 "C" batteries so no more expired flares to worry about or dispose of. It flashes S-O-S. BTW - I contacted the Coast Guard about compliance and they said as long as the device is labeled with the specific compliance statute its good to go. Also, it includes an orange and black day-flag, which is required for compliance. In addition I asked them about expired flares, and the officer said to keep them on the boat in a ziplock bag marked "expired". 
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Brian, just curious, is the flare something that actually gets launched into the air? Or how would you deploy it?

So now, instead of worrying about expired flares, I guess you just need to replace the batteries on a regular basis? Maybe when the time changes, and you replace them in your smoke detectors ...  ;D
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Brian N.

The "Flare" is made by ARC and is the "ResQFlare" and Coast Guard certified (when carried with the supplied orange flag). It is just slightly bigger than a flashlight and is handheld.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Riggerdood

Interesting. So I assume you're supposed to display the flag when using the flare?

pgandw

QuoteInteresting. So I assume you're supposed to display the flag when using the flare?
The flag is for daytime use when the rescue light may not be bright enough to be easily seen.

Fred W

DBthal

Quote from: pgandw on May 18, 2024, 04:51 PM
QuoteInteresting. So I assume you're supposed to display the flag when using the flare?
The flag is for daytime use when the rescue light may not be bright enough to be easily seen.

Fred W

That's why it's good to keep your old flares (labeled expired) on the boat. They are still likely to work to attract attention in the daylight.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Fred W
Ah, makes sense.

Riggerdood

Quote from: DBthal on May 18, 2024, 07:29 PM

Fred W

That's why it's good to keep your old flares (labeled expired) on the boat. They are still likely to work to attract attention in the daylight.
I do keep a pack of labeled expired flares along with a pack of unexpired ones aboard. Why not? Seems you can't really do anything else with the expired ones?