Location of depth gauge

Started by talbot, May 21, 2024, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talbot

Those of you with HawkEye depth gauges on a P21... where do you mount them on the bulkhead?
I have all the info on placing the sensor, which is what most people worry about. But where exactly do you put the  gauge on the bulkhead so it doesn't get in the way and you can see it?

I want to mount it on the port cabin bulkhead, far enough inboard (close to the companionway) so I have the option of adding a chartplotter later. One idea was to put it has high as possible so it is in line of sight. Another is to put it low so it won't be obscured by any lines on the cabin top.

Probably a dumb question, but the thought of drilling a 2 1/8 hole in my boat, possibly in the wrong place, keeps me up at night.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

Talbot, I put mine about midway up and just right of center on the stbd side bulkhead. It's easy to read from pretty much anywhere in the cockpit, and that location was also best for optimal wiring to the panel on the inside. I don't have any lines that come down off the cabin top, so that's not an issue.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

talbot

Thanks. I was thinking I might go about midway, but on the port side. My original panel is full, and I'm installing a second panel under the companionway to port. My GPS already mounts at about the same location, so I'm not sure how the two will fit, but when you think of all the problems in the world, this one is not worth worrying about.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon