News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

TSBB Burgee

Started by Riley Smith, Jun 10, 2024, 10:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who would like to see a new TSBB burgee? Old design? New?

Old Design
3 (42.9%)
New Design
4 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: Jun 20, 2024, 10:23 AM

Riley Smith

In the past, there was a TSBB burgee. I'm not much on flags myself but that's a whole 'nother ball game, and some of us (myself) would like to have one. We're all jealous of even non-members in good standing have one! ;D  So a poll, a delegation to someone to DO something constructive and get us one built, and something to discuss. We'll all be happy won't we :P (And besides, I can take this poll thing that Kurt built for a ride!)

Kurt edit here: Take a look at the designs posted below before voting! :)
Riley

Spot

One of each!  But old to start with...
Big dreams, small boats...

CapnK

A similar topic came up a few weeks ago on sailFar, and I've been looking into it. T-shirts, hats, cup/mug, burgee, bumper stickers... Most of that, at least in the beginning, I'll have to farm out to one of the "print and ship" companies, because 1) I don't own screenprinting or embroidery tools, and 2) there isn't financing to be able to sit on inventory - especially not knowing what will sell, and/or how much.

But the burgees, I can make. I have an industrial sewing machine, hot knife, etc etc all sitting here doing nothing. So...

Design - what shape? There's the simple triangle TSBB logo (look up and to the right at top of page), and the older burgee design like Wayne posted, a rectangle with two triangular 'wings' off the back.
The triangle would be easier to make.
I'm thinking to do like Wayne's flag, and just use the white logo with no lettering.

I've an idea of how to make it with no printing; I'll scrounge through my fabrics and sew one together to see how those thoughts translate to reality. :D

So - I'll do a separate post with a poll to get some answers to the above. Chime in, if you would. :)

CapnK

RE: Logo - Old Design vs New Design

The flag below has the old logo design. I came up with a newer version - also below - a bit more streamlined, will be easier to implement when putting together the burgees, and I think it looks a bit more modern as well.

Use Rileys Poll above to give 'em a vote. :)

You cannot view this attachment.---You cannot view this attachment.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

I like the newer one.  Make it on a triangle - why work harder?

Spot

I see the results on Kurt's poll but not Riley's.

PS More gap between tires and hull to balance spacing in design.

Charles Brennan

Quote from: Noemi - Ensenada 20 on Jun 10, 2024, 03:55 PMI like the newer one.  Make it on a triangle - why work harder?

The rectangular nature of the design would become minuscule, when scaled down to a triangular pennant.  :-\
Checking with Chapman's 64th edition "Piloting & Seamanship" owner's flags are traditionally Swallow-tailed (a rectangle with two triangular 'wings' off the back. Seriously, Kurt? Thought you was a SAILOR!!)  ;D although they can be triangular, but it's exactly backwards with club memberships which are traditionally triangular, but can be swallow-tailed.  So is the TSBB burgee a club, or a loosely confederated bunch of individual owners?  ???

In the sizes typical for most of the TSBB boats, you're talking 10 X 15 inches, or 12 X 18 inches for rectangular or swallow-tailed flags.  Triangular pennants would be around 6-7 inches vertically, for 15 inches horizontally.

I agree with Spot about more space between wheels and hull and as an Honest-to-God TRAILER SAILOR,   >:(  I would also move the wheels forward, because the current depiction would have an un-Godly tongue weight!!   ;D

One guy's opinion,
Charles Brennan

Riley Smith

"I see the results on Kurt's poll but not Riley's."

The results are in 10 days and nobody can look!!! You can however change your vote.
Riley

CapnK

Edited logo design slightly to implement physics per Brennan, and appearance per Spot.

;)

You cannot view this attachment.

Spot

Here is what I am thinking laid into the newer design:
add space between the elements to make them pop.
One could also lower the wheels to make the hull continuous.
You cannot view this attachment.

Roland of Macatawa

I may be coming to the party late ...
But I prefer, as before, that a stylized representative image of a trailer frame also be present under the hull.
Afterall, it is a 'Trailer'-Sailboat, not some sort of amphibious land and/or sea craft.
Regards, Roland
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Riley Smith

Thanks to Wayne Howard for the interest on the burgee because of the mention of the well-used old burgee he has. I haven't had a flag aboard S R Cat except maybe a couple of times in all the years we've sailed. One reason for that is no standing rigging and another is the sheave for the flag halyard got used for other purposes. I did use a pig stick and a US flag once or twice, and a few times a ribbon at the top of the mast which was actually more of a wind vane than anything. As Charles Brennan noted, "There are a lot of lines on that boat"  and usually is more trouble than it is worth to me.
Riley

Riley Smith

The results are in and the new design wins by a nose. I've been looking into bumper stickers myself and may get an order ready in a bit. I really like the new design so it'll feature that. At the present, I'm going to contact my daughter as I seem to remember she has some kind of rig that may be able to do this and maybe cut costs. Her schedule is whacky and I just wait for her to visit instead of calling. I remember someone calling on night shift and the things I called them  ::)  It wasn't much on the first scan (about $2 IIRC) and I was really pressed for time. Life is full (doctors, grandchildren, chores, and other stuff). Besides, that neck that is soon to get a rebuild makes me take a nap a lot more frequently as the meds slay me. Even the halyard replacement got sidetracked when the fid never showed up, so things go in fits and starts.

Riley

Six Bells

Thanks everyone for their designs and input.  I like both CapnK first new design as well as Spot's slight change.
Sailing: Montgomery 15 - Beech Island