News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

I hate outboards

Started by Frank B., Jul 14, 2024, 06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B.

I pulled out my much neglected skiff to clean it up and crank it anticipating finding some time to use it.  Naturally the motor would not start.  Would fire off run for about two seconds then it would die.  Took off the fuel line, ran the starter to verify it was getting fuel and it was.  So here we go, take off the carb, take it apart and clean it.  I have a second carb ( the one that came with the motor a 9.9, I switched to a 15 carb) so ok I'll just put it back on.  Went to the shed and got the box and written on it was "Suzuki 9.9 carb, needs cleaning, may need a float valve". hmm, yeah I meant to do that. I found that the intake silencer assembly was cracked So I'll order one they are not that much.  Looked it up and found it was discontinued.  Come on folks this is a 2005 motor...So now got the brain cells working to see how I can patch up the old one.  The other option is pay four times new retail for a used one on Ebay.  Did I mention I hate outboard motors.

pgandw

Had similar experiences with my 2003 Honda 5hp long shaft (I bought used in 2022).  Finally gave up, bit the bullet, took the crap from DW, and bought an Epropulsion Spirit+ electric (3hp equivalent) to power my Mariner 19.  Turned out better than I dreamed.

Just ignore DW when she complains about the cost of the motor.  It starts when I want it to, not when it feels like it.  No more lost sailing buddies after I brought them home 3 hrs late from a day sail where we were becalmed.  No more "testing" before a friend arrives for a sail, and then have it fail to start at the dock for departure.  Motoring early in the morning calms is a pleasure - I can talk to people on shore or in their boats fishing in a normal tone.  No more forgetting the vent on the gas tank, and have it stall after running for a few minutes.  And most of all - my shoulders may last me the rest of my life!

Did I mention I hate small gas outboard motors that don't have electric start?

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Wolverine

I have 3 o/bs. The 2010 Tohatsu never starts. The 1985 Nissan 2 stroke I just pulled out of a 14 year storage and has been starting everytime this year. The 1966 Chrysler 3hp that has 3 year old gas in it also starts every time.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Doug SC

I know the feeling about outboards! However, I can't really complain about the 5hp Nissan 4 stroke on my Potter 19. The only time it seems to fail me is when I do something stupid like pull the boat out with the engine in idle which lead to me learning how to replace the impellor. The other time was I failed to connect the hose from the tank properly which would allow it to disconnect enough to cut off fuel supply.

Although as little as I really use the motor if I could justify buying an Epropulsion I would. I like the quiet. The little Honda 2.3 air cooled at under a third the price may be my next purchase, but is noisy.

Wayne Howard

I've got a 2000 Mercury 9.9 that starts everytime I follow the starting instructions!!! ::)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

noelH

I'm lazy. ICE just require too much maintenance. New or old. Spend enough hours dealing with the ancient chainsaw and now ancient diesel tractor. The truck just goes to the service center. I'm Lazy.

Went with a Torqeedo Travel electric outboard 7 seasons ago. Outside of dealing with a poorly designed kick-up locking lever (since redesigned). Zero problems. Maintenance. Top up the batteries at the end of the season.  Only issue I have has been Torqeedo's customer service and spare parts inventory decline in the past couple years. Motor pylon gaskets maintenance schedule requires replacement every 700 hrs or 5 years of service. Last checked couple parts are still unavailable. Maybe forever? 1003 is now 2 gen old. Like my ancient Apple hardware. Still functional. But like the iMac maybe no longer supported?

Picked up an ePropulsion eLite. The least expensive electric outboard if you limit yourself to ePropulsion, Torqeedo, and Temo brands. Spec notes 500 watt. Relative to the 1003 at same power output it generates less thrust based on SOG. Guessing it might be the propeller design if spec are correct. It is inexpensive at ~$999.  Lightweight at ~7kg. But very limited capacity. I drain it down to storage voltage level(~60%) with just one trip into and out of the marina. Which is all I need it for. The 1003 for the similar distance drains 10-15% capacity. Unfortunately already have a factory recall.  Manual notes: Long term storage voltage level is 45-50% of capacity. Check every 3 months to top it off to long storage level. Apparently if set at that level the battery self discharges to a critical low level well before 3 months. Sort of makes sense. 45-50% is too low for lithium ion or polymer batteries. A normal cell has max voltage  of 4.2v. For most lipo and li-ion cells storage is ~3.8v. Which translate to ~60-80% capacity. Self discharge rate of lithium cells are ~5% month. Do the math. 45% is way too low. It's not capacity(amp hours) that is critical. It's voltage level. Voltage sag or level below 3.2V for most lithium polymer or lithium ion cells can degrade it prematurely. Some designs drop off dramatically below some voltage threshold. I killed a brand new 6s battery not understanding the characteristics of that specific brand.

The eLite is a zero maintenance unit. I asked the dealer about the need for servicing. email noted none required. 7-10 years of "maintenance free use". I guess you just chuck it into the waste bin when it dies. Which sort of stinks.

Torqeedo recommends for long term storage (6 months or longer) to charge to 100% of their lithium ion battery. Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt(LNMC) chemistry.  Had me wondering. Most sources note not healthy to keep lithium ion cells at full charge for long term. But better too high v. too low.

Sage S15
 Vela

Timm R Oday25

Charles Brennan gave me my mantra for outboards .. We launched our Oday several weeks ago for the season .
We use an 8 horse Johnson on it . That outboard ran perfectly everytime at home .
For almost three months I started it in a 55 gallon barrel several times a week.
Once on the back of the sailboat ..nope .. not a chance in hell .
I tied the sailboat to the back of the dinghy and used our new to us 2.5 Yamaha on the back of the dinghy to get us out to our mooring .
I've been back to our boat several times in the last week and a half..
While tied up to our mooring the outboard starts every time .. go figure

pgandw

QuoteTorqeedo recommends for long term storage (6 months or longer) to charge to 100% of their lithium ion battery. Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt(LNMC) chemistry.  Had me wondering. Most sources note not healthy to keep lithium ion cells at full charge for long term. But better too high v. too low.
My Epropulsion Spirit leaves battery at full charge for 2 weeks.  Then self-discharges on a self-imposed on a very light load to 70%.  Sits at 70% indefinitely.

So unless motor is below 50% upon return from a trip, I don't recharge until night before next trip.  That way I stay in the 50-70% long term storage recommendation for lithium batteries.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19 #4133  Sweet P

noelH

eLite BMS is basic. No self discharge to storage level after x number of days sitting. Guessing real basic BMS that just controls the charging profile. If you leave it on the charger it will hold it at 100%.

The factory recall is for a "software" fix. They noted after upgrade the battery level will not require as frequent top off charging during long term storage.  Curious what type of cells and lithium chemistry is in the eLite. Guessing just a bunch of 18650 sized cells. Inexpensive and compact. If so, charging up to 65-80% capacity should be safe. Which is what I plan to do. Closest ePropulsion dealer is a 10hr round trip by vehicle. Doubt if they had a custom battery designed for the eLite.  BMS and cells usually end up being the single most expensive component of these electric motors. Basically another copy-cat electric motor. Looks like a small Temo 1000, but at 1/3 the cost,1/2 the power, and a basic energy system.

Sage S15
 Vela