Baking soda as a a cleaner

Started by Timm R Oday25, Jul 06, 2024, 09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm R Oday25

I scrubbed the boat the week before we launched . However during the week, we had pretty significant
high winds and rain . This resulted in stains from leaves and branches .
Can I use baking soda to wash and clean the boat now that it is in the water ?
My primary concern is not polluting the lake .
For Charles . The lake in question is Lake Michigan . The water temp was 62 degrees and almost zero salinity.
The boat is a 1981 Oday ,fiberglass construction incased in gelcoat .
The leaves were from a poplar tree , the branches from an apple tree immediately north of the trailer
:):):):):):):):):):)

Wolverine

1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Brian N.

Timm - A quick call to your Department of Environmental Conservation could probably give you the definitive answer (NY its the DEC but your state may call the agency something different). Baking soda should be okay, but you should check anyway. Its safe for swimming pools, and no toxic effects.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Charles Brennan

Timm,  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
That one really made me laugh!!  :)

Baking soda (calcium carbonate) is probably the least environmentally hazardous cleaning substance you could add to lake water.
If anybody tries to give you any grief, point out that GLC Minerals in Green Bay, Wi, has been mining calcium right by Lake Michigan for decades. 
Your best bet is to make a solution of baking soda and water (almost a paste) apply to the tannin-stained area and put a damp paper towel over it and let it sit for a while (i.e. > 30 min).
THEN scrub normally; just applying the powder, some water, and then scrubbing like it was a dry cleanser, won't work, the chemical action needs time to work.

If that doesn't work, stronger chemicals may be required like oxalic acid (Bartender's Friend).
While not bio-accumulative, (OSHA-Speak for: don't put it in the water) it is still less preferable than baking soda, although it works better.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Norm L.

Baking soda has an acid with a soda light abrasive. It's the sitting acid that does some of the work. I always thought it was just an abrasive. I'm a fan of bartenders Friend. it has a rougher abrasive, Feldspar and the main ingredient the acid, is Oxalic.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Timm, I use baking soda for a lot of my cleaning around the house.  As Charles said, it's a great place to start.

Spot

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda, Sodium carbonate is washing soda.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate
Big dreams, small boats...

Riley Smith

We put it in the pool to adjust the alkalinity. A more permanent solution is a chain saw ;D
Riley

Noemi - Ensenada 20

A chain saw would definitely take care of the pool....

Krusen

I think Riley is targeting the trees.  ::)