Porthole no-see-um mesh screens for my Scamp.

Started by Doug SC, Aug 12, 2024, 04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug SC

Well, part of the tent project for the Scamp was to install no-see-um mesh screens on the portholes. I just finished mounting the portholes back with white 100% silicon and bolting them down in the heat of the day. When I came back into the house Carol asked who threw a bucket of water on me. My shirt was completely soaked, pants way too wet, and even my straw hat was wet well out on the brim. The upside is the job is complete.

Tools used to release the porthole from the silicon caulking on the boat.
You cannot view this attachment.

Head net used for screens

I used a rubber band ot hold the screen in place on the back side of the deck plate/porthole. You can see a 1/2 inch flange on the inside of the deck plate

The clear plastic covers removed showing the installed screen in place.. The rubber band was left in place, and white silicon was used to seal the deck plate and fix the screen in place.

Yes, I know I need to wash the Scamp!

Doug SC

I am now thinking about making a simple removeable canvas scoop for each porthole to funnel air though the boat. My thought is to take a short section of track and attach it behind each porthole. Make a triangle of canvas attaching a same length section of bolt rope to one side and flare it out to catch any wind when anchored. If I do, I'll post the result.