News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Is it September?

Started by noelH, Aug 09, 2024, 10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

Few days ago temperatures were on the warmer than normal side for this region. +30C/+86F air temps with most surface water temperatures reading in the upper 60s to low 70s. Warm for L. Superior. Yesterday a more like winter weather system settled in. NW wind kicked in. Temps struggled to reach upper 60's. Nice F4/5 in the Bay. Went windsurfing. Might be the last chance for warm water and warm air. Today. 0800 Nearshore Marine readings. Air temps in the upper 50s from Isle Royal to Duluth to Saxon Harbor. The water temp? Low 40'sF. The August churn due to the stronger winds offshore and all the surface water pushed E. Some August churns in the past the water temp never warmed up until the following Summer. Yesterday, today, and forecasted through the weekend conditions are more like late September than early August.

JMHO, the best sailing conditions up here are Spring and Autumn. No bugs, more days with wind. Just a bit on the cool side and you need to enjoy reef in, reef off, repeat....Maybe an extended "autumn" sailing season?   
Sage S15
 Vela

Timm R Oday25

I got to agree with you . Nothing but rain for the first 3 months of late spring early summer . Now temps are very low.
 was have expecting a frost warning from the local lying weather weasels.
 Good thing I never put my snow shovel aaway ..

noelH

August is my least favorite month most years. Inconsistent winds, bugs, can be relatively hot (+86F) and humid (RH>60%), stormy.  Enjoying our earlier Springs and longer Autumns.  We actually now have 4 distinct seasons vs. the "good old days" of 3 seasons. Officially now agriculture zone 5A or 5B. Depends on your microclimate. Have some +30 y/o perennials that supposedly are zone 5 minimums. Guessing the property is solid 5b.

My neighbor noted the warm surface water temps are penetrating deeper.  Historic warm temps at certain depths. Sort of makes sense. Most winters lack any significant ice coverage to reflect the winter sun. Radiant solar heat needed to melt that missing ice just now warms the water up sooner and deeper. Probably why there are occasional toxic algae blooms and relatively common mid summer days with offshore surface water temps into the low 70s.  Buoy 45006 this AM is reading in the low 60s water temp with air temp in the upper 50s. Buoy is +20nm NE of Outer Island. Right now only 7.8kt in the middle of western L. Superior.
Sage S15
 Vela

Wayne Howard

Quote from: noelH on Aug 11, 2024, 01:12 PMAugust is my least favorite month most years. Inconsistent winds, bugs, can be relatively hot (+86F) and humid (RH>60%), stormy.

Wow, nice weather you got there.  It's 5:15 here in central Texas and the weather is 95F and 49% RH giving us a feels like temperature of 106F. We've still got 4 seasons, tho. Winter (2 weeks), Almost summer (1 months), Summer (9-1/2 months), After summer (1 months)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Riley Smith

It is with great anticipation I await the temperature to become highs near 85F instead of 95F, with humidity lower too. I'm a couch potato lately, with handicapped upper body strength, so I have become highly enamored of time spent in the a/c. I do what I can and keep active and be patient. I have resorted to working with paracord for manual dexterity and to occupy my brain leaning something new. Soon enough it will be Prime Time on the gulf coast  8)
Riley

Frank B.

Quote from: Wayne Howard on Aug 12, 2024, 06:17 PM
Quote from: noelH on Aug 11, 2024, 01:12 PMAugust is my least favorite month most years. Inconsistent winds, bugs, can be relatively hot (+86F) and humid (RH>60%), stormy.

Wow, nice weather you got there.  It's 5:15 here in central Texas and the weather is 95F and 49% RH giving us a feels like temperature of 106F. We've still got 4 seasons, tho. Winter (2 weeks), Almost summer (1 months), Summer (9-1/2 months), After summer (1 months)

I don't know I went to Boerne about 2-3 times a year for about ten years when my Mother lived there.  I can't speak for the seasons, always seemed the same to me but always seemed a whole lot better than where I came from in the north part of the Sip. ;D  Folks were nice there too, their running club kinda adopted me.