One of the finer things...

Started by Riley Smith, Aug 24, 2024, 10:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

On Middle River in the shade of the sail...

You cannot view this attachment.
Riley

Captain Kidd

Nice pic! I have so few pics of me on the water.

Who's the photographer?

Riley Smith

I have no idea! I found this one while I was digging through the digital library and sending out-of-focus stuff to oblivion. I have LOTS more room on the 32 gig SD card! I suspect it was Sonya but it is possible that someone else took it. It must have been some time ago as the boom lift isn't rigged and I ALWAYS rig that line now. Middle River is just east of the Labrot House and is very shallow, as the river tends to follow the western arm more. I'm hoping for some time on the water there when the neck gets the ok from the doc. We checked on the fishing last night, after an anniversary dinner with family in Biloxi. There was a constant bite the short time we were there but the water was murky due to wind yesterday. The fish were feeding on glass minnows and were mostly small. They are hard to catch when feeding on them, as the glass minnows are so small that any lure looks clunky in comparison. I only caught one but I really wasn't fishing so much as looking. Charbroiled oysters and a fish on the line. Life is GOOD 8)
Riley

Riley Smith

Hey Dale, considering that I've had the boat so long, there are still very few pics. This one surprised me totally though. I'll mention recently (last summer is recently?) that I took a sail in Biloxi and there was a boat already on a beam reach out of the channel. Until they did a 180 and came back on the return leg. I dutifully followed suit and made my own 180 and headed back to the dock. We waved at each other as we went by. Later I found a picture of S R Cat and I on that reach on one of the other sites. Had no clue. I was splayed out on the bottom in the cockpit with my arm over the rail, so I saved it. I enjoy looking at them occasionally. Maybe I should make a folder of nothing but catboat pictures. Duh!
... Oh Well, organization is NOT my forte! :D
Riley

Captain Kidd

It's a really nice pic. I've tried to get my wife to get some of me on the water but she doesn't seem to realize that if I'm not really close, with a camera phone, the pics will be fuzzy once you crop to get any decent size image. My best pics of the Hunter were taken by friends in a power boat. It was a windy day and we didn't have the jib up. Too bad. My best pic of my SD 11 were taken by a power boater who was attending the same boat builders gathering that I was at. At the moment there wasn't much wind. The sale was up, but I was also rowing, So not the best pic overall. I have some pretty good pics that were taken of the CIY by a fellow sailor at another boat builders get together. They are the best pictures I have of any of my boats.

Frank B.

Yep, lucky pics......Mine came when I was single handling on Bay Springs Lake and decided to fly the asymmetrical spin which I don't normally do by myself.  Good breeze so to make life easier I left the main covered.  I remember thinking boy wish I had a pic of this must be a pretty sight from a distance, but no traffic mid week, off season, on the lake.  About that time a power boat came from the north slowed and I saw a woman take a couple of pictures.  Before I could react they took off and I considered it a lost opportunity.  Later in the day I was motoring back to the marina and noticed that boat docked at a picnic area.  I came as close as I could without grounding and asked them if they were going to be there for a while.  Said yes so I hustled to my dock, tied up and drove over to the picnic area.  Yes they would be happy to email me the pictures.  Offered to take them sailing sometime but never got a response when I called them.  Just a lucky break.You cannot view this attachment.

Wolverine

I don't think I have any pics of us underway.

You cannot view this attachment.
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Norm L.

I only have a few under sail as most of the time it was solo. They are on the Nimble 24 and more on the Black Watch as my wife made a trip from the boatyard up the Tchefuncte river out through the 8-mile drawbridge and back to the marina. I forgot they existed until I found them on a buried CD of photos.

Riley, I can send you a few photos of cats from the 1920's til now. And at least one builder's market folder on cats no longer made. I think it's Menger.

Riley Smith

I'm pretty much drowning in photos now Norm! That was how I found the picture  :D  I take all kinds of pictures, but rarely of people. I do take them, but it is hard to compose a picture of a person without their consent. You can get it, but it's pretty much a crap shoot without preparation, aka staging and light. I've been cleaning out SD cards and thinking about some video. I've rarely ever shot  video, so it'll be something else to occupy a mind.
Riley

Wayne Howard

Connie HATES all the pictures I have taken of her. Something about the worst possible timing ever. Every time.  8)
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Norm L.

Wayne, that takes no training. I think many of us apparently have that photographical skill that obtains such a result.