News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

PFD test

Started by Captain Kidd, Sep 13, 2024, 03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

I'm testing my inflatable PFD. I've owned it a pretty long time, at least since December 2012 when I used it the only time needed: I capsized Little Bit .

I've inflated and will wait 24 hours to see how it's holding up. Looks good right now. I'll have to buy a new cartridge, of course, but this will give me a little peace of mind.

You cannot view this attachment.

I usually throw a couple regular life jackets in the cockpit as well as wear the inflatable.

noelH

I have my inflatable pfd set to manual.  I have a difficult time swimming with this type of pfd when full inflated.  Did my spring pfd test. IRRC the bobin or CO2 cartridge was expired or close to expiring so I pulled the cord.  The pfd lost a bit of inflation over IIRC the night.  Used the manual tube and inflated.  This time it held full pressure.

Spring and eventually in October the surface water of L. Superior gets too cold.  Add cold air temps. You are sort of in a bad situation if overboard and not in a survival suit. We windsurf to mid-late October, but even with 6/4 or 5/4 wetsuits and 3-5mm booties it doesn't take long for the combination of air and water temp to take effect.  Key is not miss a jibe for longer sessions. Even then the feet and hand discomfort is not fun.  Maybe more so after warming up and intense discomfort of thawing paws kicks in.

I like the inflatable for warm days, but for cold days. Tether & float coat  keeps me in the cockpit and warmer.  The float coat probably add a few minutes before hypothermia sets in if overboard. At least my body will be easier to find.
Sage S15
 Vela