Putting on a little weight over the yers

Started by Timm R Oday25, Sep 28, 2024, 08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm R Oday25

Somewhere ,I'm not sure where,I heard this saying "If you can't put a number on it, it's voodoo".
After way too many years ,I finally made the time to get both the truck and the boat weighed .
The truck ,a 2018 F150 extended cab with an 8' bed and our 1981 Oday 25
 tipped the scales at a certified 13380 pounds !
Weighed separately the truck comes in at 6040 .If my math is correct this means the boat and trailer weigh 7340 . From published listings the truck weighs 1000 pounds more than it's listed weight .
The published weight of the Oday is 4500 pounds .
 I'm not sure how much the trailer weighs .
By all accounts this is almost two tons more than I thought .
Time to order an all new set of brakes .Any brand preferances for surge brakes ?

Brian N.

I'm not by any means an expert, but 2 tons difference seems suspicious. Even loaded to the max, something appears way off from the listed weight.

When I was using my smaller Volvo sedan to tow, I could "feel" the load of the boat, especially stopping. When I switched to the Subaru Outback, I hardly realized the boat was in tow. The point is the F150 seems like it should have no problem towing or stopping. Your State laws may dictate otherwise and be the last authority.

Fair winds
Brian N.

Timm R Oday25

The truck hauls the boat with very little effort . 400 horse ,400 foot pounds of torque and a ten speed transmission accounts for most of it . I'm usually at 11 miles to the gallon . The surprise was the actual amount from a certified scale .