Trailer sights seen on the drive from New Orleans to Tampa

Started by Norm L., May 09, 2023, 02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

A truck with trailer pulled on the side of the road. Boat was about an 18-20 "runabout".
Driver's side of the trailer was jacked up, the wheel pulled and the person dealing with the problem was halfway under the trailer. If you are under there with the crossmembers and possibly spring shackles, non of that sounds like repairs that can be done roadside under a loaded trailer.
Any ideas on what the problem might be?

The other sight was an 18' Carolina Skiff on a nice boat trailer, complete with goal posts. Only the boat was upside down, as in bottom up. The explanation might be that he turned off onto the road to Cedar Key! What happens in Cedar Key stays in Cedar Key.

Krusen

I stored my bass boat upside down on the trailer, kept it clean inside.

Small boats are easy to turnover at the marina.

The guy under the trailer, with the wheel off, was at great risk.  If the trailer fell of the jack, or the jack itself failed, he is crushed.
I have seen someone who needed to go under his trailer, jacked high enough to put the wheel and tire upright, under the frame to prevent falling while he was underneath.  He had picked up some debris, a limb, that caught on the axle.

GlenG

Maybe the guy dropped the lug nuts and they rolled underneath. 
But propping the wheel/tire upright as a safety brace seems unstable.  I often just lay the tire flat, under the axle, as safety support if I have to go under car or trailer.
Summary of my life in one sentence...
It seemed like a good idea at the time !