trailer tire replacement options

Started by noelH, Jun 25, 2023, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noelH

Probably should get a new set of tires at the end of the season or before next season begins.

Estimate total milage is less than 2000 miles, but 6th season.  Vela sits at the marina on the trailer in full sun, but with covers protecting the tires from the sun for the past couple seasons.  Off season protected from the sun parked in the carport along side of the garage.

Options for tires with longterm vs. milage durability?  Brand, model?  Why not regular vehicle tires vs. trailer tires?  Probably will not ever tow more than the annual round trip to the marina.  Total of 17.6 miles roundtrip.
Sage S15
 Vela

pgandw

Carlisle tires have a pretty good rep, and sell for reasonable prices.  ST tires are specifically aimed at trailers, and have a higher load capacity for a given tire size.  Whether you need ST tires depends on circumstances.  Maximum load for the trailer is usually based on using ST tires - the tires max weight rating should have a decent margin for the max gross vehicle weight (trailer plus boat) of the trailer.  If your load is substantially under max, you can use a lesser rated tire - but many tire shops will not (and should not) fit anything less than OEM spec.

Check the date codes before buying - trailer tires tend to sit around a while before being sold.

Six years is about the max for any road vehicle tires.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner #4133  Sweet P
Yeopim Creek, Albemarle Sound, NC

Krusen

Trailer tires have a very different sidewall design, to reduce side sway, which can be very dangerous.

The higher load rating for the same size is often from much higher tire pressure.

Tires that have been protected from direct sun will last much longer before the sidewall cracking starts, the major sign of component degrading.

When I bought my trailer it had been parked with the left tire on the south side, completely unprotected, for 10 years.  It was flat, cracked, and worthless.  The tire on the opposite side was never in the sun, and was fine.

I borrowed a wheel and tire to get home with the trailer, bought a size larger wheel, with the max size that fit, and 6 ply rating.  This more than doubled the tire rating.

20 years later, with the new tires protected from the sun ALL the time, no cracking or checking, pressure only needs topped up spring and fall.  I do check and adjust tire pressure before any trip, to assure that I never run on underinflated tires.  These are the small 4 bolt wheels, not normal car wheel size.

Protect your tires, and they will last.

Dave Scobie

Noel:

You cannot expect trailer tires to 'last a long time'.  It is a 3-5 year cycle depending local climate.  Unless you are towing 10000-15000+ miles a year mileage isn't a concern.

I discuss in more detail here -

https://m17-375.com/2019/03/31/trailer-tire-lifespan-is-short/

Frank B.

Agree with Krusen. I replaced my four tires approaching 11 years old.  They showed no damage to tread or sidewall, and had approximately 5000 miles on them. I think the prior owner left them exposed to UV so thought it prudent to replace. I replaced them with Trailer King ST Radials, 205/75/14. The new tires are seven years old and have less than 300 miles on them.  The trailer is stored in the woods (shade) with the tires on concrete pads. The boat is not on the trailer.  I also put covers on them because of the possibility of winter UV exposure and every year spray them liberally with 3M 303 protectant. The trailer is used to make the 90 mile round trip from the marina to my house for maintenance approximately every three years.  I don't plan to replace them unless they show sidewall cracking or some other damage.  I'm a firm believer that if you protect them from UV they will last a very long time.

I'm more concerned with the tires on my truck.  On my last set of tires it took right at 8 years to roll up 60K miles and get to 3/32 my trigger point.  And they are not UV covered although they get protectant periodically.

JerryC

Great article, Dave. New tires every 5-6 years are real cheap insurance, compared to breaking down out on the interstate. Carry the old ones as decent spares, and ditch the 20-year-olds that are dry-rotted, even if they've been garaged...