Small Galvanized Trailer

Started by SantaCruzin, Jun 15, 2023, 06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SantaCruzin

I've been on the hunt for a galvanized trailer that isn't going to cost more than my WWP 14 did and I think I may have found a good option, but I'm hoping someone here can help me to confirm. Weight is listed at 548 lbs for the boat and I'd guess that when it's loaded and ready to roll I can be up to about 750 lbs (Honda 2.3 outboard, oars, vests, and a few pieces of electronics). This puts me close to the 800lb weight limit listed on many of the cheap trailers from eTrailer or West Marine. The used trailer I found doesn't have any identifying marks on it, but I believe it is likely similar.

So, to the questions:
1. The trailer is made of 2" x 1" galvanized metal. Does anyone have experience with these or have a sense of what a weight limit might be?
2. The trailer currently has a 13' aluminum boat on it and the stern does hang off the rear slightly. The total length of the trailer is a bit less than my current trailer...is there a rule of thumb in regards to length/size of a trailer relative to the boat it will be carrying? Width-wise it is the same as my current trailer.
1968 West Wight Potter 14 #222
1966(?) Mirror Dinghy #5914

JerryC

The original Potter trailer frame is 1"x3" galvanized C-section. Trailers for fishing boats are set up to balance a heavy outboard, and you'll probably need to either move the axle forward, or set your bunks back, in order to get the tongue weight where it should be. I find that shorter trailers are much harder to back down the ramp. And I've added an extension to one of my trailers just to get the winch and mast away from the back end of my (now dented) van. If a wider trailer means your boat sits lower, then I'd choose that to make it easier to launch and more stable on the road. Always assume that the bearings and races on a used trailer are shot and will need to be replaced until you verify that they're not. Fortunately, new hubs and bearings cost a lot less than a new trailer.