Did the BEER Cruise happen?

Started by Noemi - Ensenada 20, Jul 19, 2023, 08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Charles Brennan

Noemi,
Apparently, you don't frequent FaceBook all that much.
BEER 2023 did indeed, happen, although I wasn't able to attend myself, owing to poor timing.
My middle sister had another recurrence of cancer (after over 6 years of remission) and while it's under control from chemo and radiation, a side effect of the chemo is one lung filling with fluid.
This left her unable to do a lot of maintenance and repair chores typical of someone who lives alone.
Her issues were both time and weather dependent and unfortunately, coincided with the BEER Cruise.
Since I can always make more time for stuff, but I can't make another sister, I went up to Virginia and:
1) Fixed a seriously leaking porch roof that was about to start leaking water into her bedroom.
2) Mowed her (3ft!!)  :o  lawn, before she got cited by the city. 
(Treated the poor rental lawn mower like a rented mule!)   :'(
3) Repaired, reset, and re-grouted a botched tile job in her bathroom.
4) Fixed non-draining bathroom sinks, and a zero pressure faucet on one of the two bathroom vanities.  ::)
(Pressure reducer installed upside down by a Plumber; Real 1st Class Mechanics in Virginia, apparently.)
5) Re-worked and replaced a botched bead-board tub surround, she had attempted 2 years previously. 
(Construction Standards and Practices are NOT her forte!)
6) Repaired and replaced severely damaged laminate flooring in her dining room, caused while she was house-breaking her 3 dogs.
7) Repaired a poorly installed and severely rotted 2nd story window sill, that was the source leak of the porch roof.
8 ) Replaced half a dozen missing front porch railing pickets.
9) Tightened up all her creaky front porch steps and railing.  (That she was afraid to walk on.)
10) Installed an exterior hand rail for the steps off her back porch.
11) Installed half a ton of gravel driveway directly in front of her front walkway, as the yard's slope from where she previously parked her car would severely wind her, in her current condition.   
Told her:
Worst. Vacation.Ever.  ::)

It was not made any better from my evenings spent slathering on Ben-Gay, popping Alleve and then perusing the BEER Cruise FaceBook page and seeing that they had such Sterling Weather this year, and wonderful conditions for both sailing AND partying.
I probably would have succumbed to a Major Pity Party, were it not for the knowledge that there will be a BEER Cruise next year, but I have no guarantees of a sister next year, which tends to put things in stark perspective. 
So, Family.
You do what you can.

But there appeared to be a truly glorious BEER Cruise this year as the following link attests:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10229320086603200&set=pcb.1212498452788672

Hope this clarifies,
Charles Brennan

Doug SC

That work list made me tired reading it. You get two thumbs and two big toes up for that vacation.