News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Splash!

Started by Riley Smith, Sep 16, 2023, 08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

S R Cat has returned to the water. Back where it all began, in a sense. The chosen spot was the launch behind the LaPoint-Krebs House, on Krebs lake. Sonya and I got married on the front lawn of the home, many years ago, and I learned to swim there. It is one of the oldest structures in Mississippi and if anyone asked you where the Spanish Fort is, you know they've been here a long time. The plan had been to be there at dawn, but at dawn there was a big thunderstorm just offshore in 'Goula. The temperature steadily rose until I got the boat rigged about 10am, and then I didn't really care. I had made it there is search of some wind, bypassing several ramps closer to home. I finally had to say it ain't happening, and launch the boat before it got too hot. Very few outsiders know about that launch.
 S R Cat looks good all rigged up, and the new little Honda works perfectly. It was a good day to motor and I was surprised to see such few people out. That doesn't mean there weren't any because there was a whole gaggle of kayaks at the sandbar at Chemise Bayou. And a few lake lice, too. The motor is much quieter than the old Nissan and much less vibration. There is a ten hour break-in on the engine and you're supposed to moderate the rpms until that's over. At about 1/4 throttle, the boat moves nicely and I pushed it up some more. You can gain a little more speed but not much before the drag takes over. I HAD planned to bring the GPS to put numbers to all this for CB but that didn't happen. I had very little gas in the motor and had to stop about 1/2 way and add more. A can will fill the tank up with just a little snort left over. So, in essence I explored all the facets of the motor, went swimming, and ran the motor in.
 I had planned on that sandbar at Chemise Bayou as a destination but due to the meridian approaching and it being in the boiling sun, I opted for the camping site on Rabbit Island within sight of the sandbar. It had shade  and was unoccupied :) I sat in the water for a while and let the minnows nibble my toes. The bottom there is fine white sand. I made sure no big old blue crab snuck up on my white chicken leg looking feet too! And added the camp chair to the list of things that always need to be in the boat.
The motor is fine. Maybe I can sail next time!!

Riley

Captain Kidd

Nice! A productive, satisfying outing.

Someone told me the motor will run about 40 minutes on a tank. I bought a gas can with a spout that has a "trigger". If you got a ways to go, there will be the need to refuel.

Anxious to try my motor. First I'll be taking the CIY to the Glen-L Gathering next weekend.

Riley Smith

For now I plan on running that Lowe's stuff in the can. It's very good gasoline and with the range of the motor, I shouldn't need much. The gasoline nowadays with ethanol seems to loose it's "light ends" quickly, those C3 & C4s that make the wiggles in the air. The non-ethanol is available all over the place here, but from what I know, I'm not so sure I trust that stuff EITHER. Vapor space and humidity in THEIR tank will have an impact on anything liquid.
 I had thought on running to Petit Bois Island but figured that was too brave an initial venture for a rusty old codger. It was a fun jaunt on the river and it would have been even better with my wife. I buzzed an alligator in the shallows and the centerboard started dragging so I had to bear off. I am under no compulsion to "protect" them. They get brave and then dangerous. The motor never missed a beat but I heard it start to load up a bit from the friction before the centerboard started bouncing.  No big deal, my boat is made for shallows and I'm sure it wasn't much over a foot deep. The motor comes with a new shear pin and cotter. Maybe I'd better add another!
Riley

Spot

I am glad it was a successful boat outing and motor purchase.
Pictures next time or it didn't happen :)
PS Even better a video of the motor running ;)
Big dreams, small boats...

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Riley Smith on Sep 17, 2023, 10:41 AMLowe's stuff in the can.

Not sure what this is. ?

Spot

Quote from: Captain Kidd on Sep 17, 2023, 09:36 PM

Not sure what this is. ?

Something like this perhaps, I have considered getting this in a quart size as a carry-along for the motorcycle:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-1-oz-4-cycle-Fuel/1001851146
Big dreams, small boats...

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Spot on Sep 18, 2023, 08:24 AM
Quote from: Captain Kidd on Sep 17, 2023, 09:36 PM

Not sure what this is. ?

Something like this perhaps, I have considered getting this in a quart size as a carry-along for the motorcycle:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-1-oz-4-cycle-Fuel/1001851146

OUCH! a bit expensive.

Charles Brennan

Dale, It's basically ethanol-free gasoline with some stabilizers similar to Stabil, added.
There are numerous non-ethanol gas stations around the country, easily found at:
https://www.pure-gas.org/
(Click on your state for a list.)
Might have to scroll a little, since counties and cities are mixed all willy-nilly.  For example, a gas station I use is listed under city of Newberry, which is in Alachua county, although there are several other stations listed under Alachua County.
There's even a phone app.  I use it when going other places, not near home.

I keep 30 gallons of E0 (ethanol-free) fuel in a fuel locker from June 1st to November 30th, to either:
1) Run generators after a hurricane for Cats 1-3, or
2) Use the fuel for the truck  to get outta Dodge, for Cats 4 & 5, allowing me to bypass mile-long gas station lines, getting out of our long, skinny, State.
From Nov 30th to June 1st, the fuel gets gradually added to the boats and yard tools, until depleted.
I have not used ethanol based fuels in my boat motors (Urchin and Short Ribs) or any of my yard power tools in over 7 years.  That and a strict regimen of running the carb bowls dry after each use has kept me from having to rebuild any carburetor in any of my equipment, since 2010.

Prices vary from about a buck, to a buck and a quarter higher, than the prevailing price for 89 octane.
Stabil adds about another 25 cents per gallon, to the over-all cost.
Cheap insurance and far cheaper than "canned gas" from Big-Box stores.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Charles Brennan on Sep 18, 2023, 07:47 PMCheap insurance and far cheaper than "canned gas" from Big-Box stores.

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Agreed. I use 100% gas in my small motors as well. I wasn't even aware of canned gas.

Riley Smith

So, is the Wells Fargo truck going to accompany the hearse? For about the price of one of those super-sized candy bars, I get a tank of gas I can depend on and I didn't have to fool with it. And believe me, that time spent fooling with something is pretty darn precious. I do use bulk non-ethanol fuel for my equipment but I don't STORE it very long. Those little metal cans will last all season if need be too, and they're perfect for refueling underway. My tank is about 32 oz too. What I'm saying is it works for me. Yep, I popped the top on the can ,looked at the vapors coming off and said, "This is fresh fuel Earl!"
But lest you imagine I'm a scofflaw about money, I DO have several cans I can now refil :)
Riley