Boat builders rendezvous

Started by Captain Kidd, Sep 20, 2023, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

As I alluded to in a previous post, I'm headed to the Glen-L "Gathering". This is G-17 and is being held at the Blue Water RV Resort in Dayton, TN. Folks will be there starting today through Sunday. Friday and Saturday are the biggest days. I'm guessing there are usually about 20 boats there, though mostly power boats. There is usually some mighty fine craftsmanship on display! I mean really fine! Though not many sailboats, if you appreciate good craftsmanship, you would enjoy just stopping by and seeing the boats.

I'm taking Disciple Ship, my CIY 16. Wasn't quite finished for last year's gathering. Forecast is great. Should be a good time.

The event is very informal and there's no cost. The organizers do take donations. There is a lot of food served. Accommodations are on your own at the resort or in town if interested in staying. I'll be sleeping aboard Friday night and should be there most of Friday and Saturday. There is a "river run" Friday. The power boaters load up anyone interested in going and everyone goes 24 miles downriver for lunch at a lakeside restaurant.

Here's one example:

You cannot view this attachment.

rfrance0718

The Bimini is interesting. Definitely not period.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: rfrance0718 on Sep 20, 2023, 09:28 PMThe Bimini is interesting. Definitely not period.

But he sure built a nice boat!!! I believe he lives in Florida, so he has an excuse for trying to keep the sun off.

In fact, a little story about this boat. Just as he was finishing the boat, his garage caught fire and severely damaged the boat. Not sure of all the details, but his insurance paid him hansomely for the boat and he rebuilt her!

rfrance0718

That's perseverance! It is really something. I love the old separate cockpits. My grandfather had an 18 foot Chris, which wasn't long enough for that. Thanks for sharing.

Norm L.

There were a lot of Chris Crafts on the Lakes. Our family doctor, when he retired, built a home on the beach at the Vermillion Lagoons. I was friends with his son so would visit and often get a ride in a neighbors Chris Craft like that.

Captain Kidd

Quote from: Norm L. on Sep 21, 2023, 03:03 PMThere were a lot of Chris Crafts on the Lakes. Our family doctor, when he retired, built a home on the beach at the Vermillion Lagoons. I was friends with his son so would visit and often get a ride in a neighbors Chris Craft like that.

This one is a Glen-L design. Not sure which one. Seems to me it is a Tahoe 23.

Norm L.

I have wandered through the Glen-L book and there are a lot of delectable boats there.

Norm L.

And don't forget Hartley. My old MANY MOONS was built by Hartley plans, by 3 friends of mine who, while in college, knew nothing about boat building. They were all in on about the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the construction.
However, it was finished by one of them who had by then had his naval architected degree.