Precision modifications list

Started by talbot, Jan 24, 2024, 05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pgandw

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jan 29, 2024, 10:33 PMI actually mixed them up when posting that. I converted all the horn cleats on my boom to "Clam" cleats which are most assuredly different then "V" cleats. A "V" cleat is what I use on my boom vang and cunningham.

So I'm thinking that maybe this is what you are referring to Straander? My DS had this on it for the outhaul, and it did not work well at all for that, so I replaced it with a clam cleat.

You cannot view this attachment.
I have found the V cleat pretty useless under changing heavy loads such as my boom vang.  Am still searching for a better solution.

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19  Sweet P

Straander

Quote from: Riggerdood on Jan 29, 2024, 10:33 PM
Quote from: Straander on Jan 29, 2024, 03:08 AM
Quote from: Riggerdood on Jan 26, 2024, 12:14 PMFrank, I think clam cleat might be a brand name of what Straander more appropriately refers to as a V cleat. Not sure.

I actually mixed them up when posting that. I converted all the horn cleats on my boom to "Clam" cleats which are most assuredly different then "V" cleats. A "V" cleat is what I use on my boom vang and cunningham.

So I'm thinking that maybe this is what you are referring to Straander? My DS had this on it for the outhaul, and it did not work well at all for that, so I replaced it with a clam cleat.

Yes, that is the V-cleat I have on my boom vang and cunningham. It is Clam-cleats I put on my boom for outhaul and reefing line. And I also use a fairlead-free clam cleat to secure my jib downhaul.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

RichardS

I would add:

1) installing line organizers on cabin, to keep lines out of the cockpit.

2) install tiller tamers (various ones, including Forespar, the clutch version etc.)

3) rigging a jib downhaul thru fairleads back to cockpit, for easy dousing of headsail esp when single handing.

talbot

Here is the first update of the Modifications List.

I added those suggestions that I was familiar with. Topics where others should fill in the spreadsheet appear at the bottom of the file.
You will notice that I have categorized the suggestions into Areas: Cabin, Cockpit, Electrical, Sail Handling, Standing/Running Rigging, etc.
Also, I have added a column called "Link." For the list to be useful to anyone who isn't already an experienced Precision owner, they will need a link to more information. That should be a connection that is relatively stable: The PBW website, Tom's book, a product page, etc. A how-to by a forum member is OK, if you can locate it and provide a link, but I don't know how reliable that is.
I don't have time to fill in links right now, but if you know some that we can add, let me know.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

I think I might be able to fill in some links for a couple of those talbot. Let me see what I can get together.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Riggerdood

My contributions talbot. Links with comments, opinions, etc. Feel free to edit/modify/comment/delete as you see fit.  ;D

talbot

Thanks! I'll see if I can use those links to fill out the form. If anyone has links for the previous entries, let me know, or just update the form yourself and re-upload.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Riggerdood

No prob! Hope it's what you were looking for? Kinda maybe?