Finally fixed a leak, hopefully

Started by Tom G P 21, Apr 28, 2024, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom G P 21

I have been struggling with a leak in the storage area under the cockpit. Sometimes I would get out to my boat and find a gallon or two of water and sometimes little to none. I was convinced it was my cockpit drains. When I checked on my boat in the storage yard this spring, sure enough more water. I assembled tools and epoxies to do battle with the boat but the first thing I wanted to do was confirm it was the drains. Got out the hose and poured gallons through the drains but no leak! After doing this several times on different days I was getting frustrated. Finally looking around I noticed a screw had come out of the hinge on my gas locker. Now last year when I was sailing the screw had stripped the hole and the hinge would sometimes not be flat. The screw was acting a like a valve and depending if the hinge was flat or not it was allowing water to get in. When I put the boat away last year the screw had fallen out and now was an open path for the water. The screw was the top one on the hinge closest to the coaming. So all of the water collecting on the bench would go right by this hole. Rebedded all three screws and now no leak. Sometimes its the simple things.

tjspiel

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Apr 28, 2024, 09:34 PMI have been struggling with a leak in the storage area under the cockpit. Sometimes I would get out to my boat and find a gallon or two of water and sometimes little to none. I was convinced it was my cockpit drains. When I checked on my boat in the storage yard this spring, sure enough more water. I assembled tools and epoxies to do battle with the boat but the first thing I wanted to do was confirm it was the drains. Got out the hose and poured gallons through the drains but no leak! After doing this several times on different days I was getting frustrated. Finally looking around I noticed a screw had come out of the hinge on my gas locker. Now last year when I was sailing the screw had stripped the hole and the hinge would sometimes not be flat. The screw was acting a like a valve and depending if the hinge was flat or not it was allowing water to get in. When I put the boat away last year the screw had fallen out and now was an open path for the water. The screw was the top one on the hinge closest to the coaming. So all of the water collecting on the bench would go right by this hole. Rebedded all three screws and now no leak. Sometimes its the simple things.

Nice !

One of the more satisfying things for me in boat repair is tracking down a leak and fixing it. :)

eaglecreeksailor22

Thank you for sharing that fix. Evan the smallest leak drives me crazy till I can locate and fix.

Wolverine

Nice !

One of the more satisfying things for me in boat repair is tracking down a leak and fixing it. :)
[/quote]

Ever think about visiting North Carolinas east coast? I'll even provide room and board. 😁
1985 Compac 19/II  s/v Miss Adventure
1986 Seidelman 295 s/v Sur La Mer

Brian N.

I had water in the bilge that I could not trace the source. Like you I sealed the cockpit drains and tested with a flood from the hose - nothing. After posting my dilemma (old forum), Jack (hello if you're still out there) suggested looking at the  wires from the navigation light on the transom while it was raining. Sure enough, I crawled in during a heavy rain and there was a stream of drops dripping off the wires! A bead of calk around the fixture easily solved the problem. Boats are funny that way, designed to keep water out and float, but yet so many possible areas of ingress.
Fair winds
Brian N.