News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Mildew Cleaner

Started by Quantico Frank, May 20, 2024, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantico Frank

We had a short discussion during the Happy Hour zoom on Friday night about anti mildew/mildew cleaners, and this is the recipe I've used a couple of times that works extremely well for me. You can get all the ingredients at either the grocery store or online. The key to it is to make sure all the solids are thoroughly dissolved in the water, and to make sure that the water is very hot. I've been using boiling water to dissolve them then added some not as hot water to mix in with it. This recipe both removes existing mildew and helps prevent it from coming back.

1 quart hot water
1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate) 2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

Riggerdood

Yep Frank, that's the one I remember seeing some time back, although I've not yet actually tried it. What items have you used it on?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Quote from: Riggerdood on May 20, 2024, 09:26 PMYep Frank, that's the one I remember seeing some time back, although I've not yet actually tried it. What items have you used it on?

Tim, over time I've used it on things like life vests, sail bags, spots on "monkey fur", and others. BTW, that Practical Sailor article has two recipes in it— I've only tried the first, and have been happy with it.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

The "Practical Sailor" anti mildew solutions work very well.  Here is the second of two formulas.

You cannot view this attachment.
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Riggerdood

Hmmm ... might need to whip up a batch and give it a try on a throwable that's become somewhat "icky".  :-\
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand