Cleaning or laundering factory cabin cushion covers

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, May 20, 2024, 07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

Has any one laundered at home factory cabin cushion covers? If purchased I would like to freshen up the covers in a 1988 P21 that has dark blue covers. I will not take to a dry cleaners as they use very hot water and  harsh chemicals. If you have done this please suggest type or brand of soap. If this is a NO NO, then also suggest options. As always thanks to the ones who never lead me astray.

Rich

Brian N.

I would hand wash with Woolite. It cleans well without leaving any residue if you rinse a couple of times.  I use it on all my lines and halyards at the end of each season. We have also used it to clean the covers of our den couch which see lots of soda, beer, salsa and pet hair.
Fair winds
Brian N.

tjspiel

We have a consumer grade carpet/upholstery cleaner and you can put woolite laundry detergent in it as long as it's for high efficiency washers (too much suds causes a problem for the cleaner). That's what I used. You can use whatever temp water you want. The cleaner pulls most of the water out but I stuck them out in the sun to completely dry afterwards.

I've washed lines by putting them in a pillow case and sticking them in the washer on gentle cycle, - again with woolite.

Riggerdood

+2 on the Woolite. No prob washing cushion covers in the regular washing machine, gentle cycle. No need to dry clean.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Captain Kidd

I washed mine once. Don't recall any special detergent. I took mine to a laundromat where they had large machines. Probably washed in warm or cold water.

talbot

I use the upholstery attachment on my Bissel carpet cleaner. I take the cushions home in the winter and clean/dry them in the spring before going back on the boat. Cheated this year and just vacuumed, but I had other boat projects to worry about.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon