Newby Mooring - Pennant Strategies

Started by EastSail, Aug 07, 2024, 09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EastSail

Greetings fellow Potters!

I've owned my '87 WWP-15 since 2016, but only sailed it one season, as a complete novice. I learned to sail on my blue Potter. This year I managed to get a mooring (unsheltered ocean bay) and will continue my sailing journey after a long interruption.

Question on tying up to the mooring ball: Mine has a 3/4" pennant line, about 6' long, with a 2000 Lbs. rated spring snap hook on the end. For the time being, the mooring pennant can not be changed.

My Potter has a small center bow cleat - around 6", with a center pass through - and also two fairleads on the port and starboard sides.

My mooring tie up strategy #1 is to clip the 3/4" pennant snap hook end onto the mooring ball ring and to then interface with the mooring pennant (now a double line) via a square knot and a 1/2" double line to the vessel.

The double line to the Potter would have a bowline knot loop on one end. After the square knot, the line with the bowline loop will pass through and over the Potter cleat and the bitter end line will cinch the first loop with a cleat knot. Both sides will pass through the fairleads, giving me a bridle setup.

Strategy #2. I could also just clip the pennant snap hook to the Potter's bow ring (trailer ring) and add a snubber from the pennant line to the bow cleat, ...or two snubbers through the fairleads, as a bridle.

Looking for feedback or better tie up strategies.

Many thanks!

Michael