News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Tropical

Started by Riley Smith, Jun 16, 2024, 10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

The tropical weather season is here; today was the first time for the weather to actually come off the Gulf of Mexico and not from TX or points west. And the humidity is stifling. The area around the Yucatan and the Bay of Camphece is showing signs. Time to lay up some gasoline and run the generator! O goodie.
Riley

Riley Smith

There are lots of factors to consider when one of the storms threaten the coast here. One of the main factors is the tide, and this week we're having large tides. On this coast there is one high and one low in 24 hrs. This week the height is ranging near 2 ft, which is a big tide for this area. Coupled with an incoming threat, the water can become a problem very quickly. The East wind that often precedes the actual storm, besides adding height to the mix, holds in the water and there ISN'T a low tide when this begins to happen.
 One of the streets to the Labrot House on the beach is already underwater just from the tide, which isn't unusual on the large full-moon tides. All the locals avoid that road in such conditions. I'm sure the beachfront that just got groomed will get some more decorations. We had a memorial for one of our former neighbors Saturday night on the beach, and there was good food and a full house of people that came to remember Jane. Luckily the place had been spruced up and there isn't a whole lot to do there. The old house becomes inaccessible on an incoming storm, living its life on what is basically an island. Once all the outside furniture is stowed inside, we'll barricade the doors and walk away. And pray.
 As I mentioned, the generator will get a check and test run, and we have to stow all OUR outdoor furniture on Wolf Ridge. Procure easily prepared food. Break out the camping stove and get ice. Cut some limbs that will threaten soffits and shingles. Get real money because in a bad one the internet is down and debit cards don't work. Make sure the chainsaws are up and running. Procure gasoline (Teslas are going to be a problem for their owners). Make a plan, because my daughters are nurses and the dads are involved in positions that will be needed also. There are grandchildren involved too, that we'll probably have to care for while the adults are in emergency mode.
 Luckily my daughter just built a big house down the street and it doesn't have any trees near it. I'm reluctant to stay in our house during really bad weather because of trees. Tropical action brings chaos to life and each storm is unique in one aspect or another. Hopefully it won't get to the blowing-down-tree stage but you have to prepare in advance.
 One bright spot in all this is the boat. It has inside storage and will be as safe as anything can be during such time. You HAVE to consider this facet of life in this place when making a decision on a boat. This is one time you're glad to have a small boat.
 And as far as large boats are concerned, many people run their boats upriver and anchor out in a bayou with PLENTY of line. The jungle will ward off a lot of the wind and you can only do so much. Some ride it out on the boat. Some use storage facilities and others just pull it out in the middle of a field and use mobile home anchors to tie it down. One thing for sure, a tropical weather system brings a LOT of work. It's almost a sure bet now that SOMEBODY is going to get weather.

Riley

Wayne Howard

I almost said something stupid (again) about how I live in Central Texas and I don't have to worry about hurricanes and such. Then I remembered how Harvey came roaring up here before bouncing back out to the Gulf and then slamming Houston like it was in a roller derby match. I think I heard this from CJ first. "With all of their instruments and super computers, the NWS has a 70% chance of getting yesterday right".
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Brian N.

Can't think of ANY place on this planet that is perfect all year; you just have to accept the risks and make reasonable preparations and take reasonable precautions.

Here on Long Island (NY) we get summer heat and drought, occasional tornados, winter blizzards, hurricanes, tropical deluge, ice storms, just to name a few weather events. It can be snowing on the Northshore and 12 miles away on the South shore buckets of rain.

In my yard I have a beautiful Southern magnolia - lost a couple of branches last winter due to heavy snow. On the walk down to the beach I pass prickly pear cactus growing among the bear berry and pines. On the water I can sail Long Island Sound, quiet bays behind barrier beaches, or even the open Atlantic (if I dare). Yeah, every place is a compromise, but I love the diversity of Long Island.
Fair winds
Brian N.

Norm L.

Riley, you may remember the photo I have posted of MANY MOONS "safely" inside a garage after Katrina. I guess there was some safety as the garage kept the boat from becoming firewood. The two deck punctures were repairable but the 1 year trapped in the garage under the tree and subsequent outside storage, ignored, led to the total rebuild.

Nature usually has the best hand of cards. Mostly wild.

Frank B.

As far as where to take your larger boat during a hurricane, I had the perfect place when I lived down there and worked for CE Natco.  The building had a channel off of Gulfport lake at the end of the Industrial seaway and went 225' into the very strong industrial building.  Even with the storm surge the bulkhead had plenty of height to protect from the wind.  We used to take our Columbia 8.7 there.  A fairly long trip from Gulfport harbor around to the back bay and down the seaway, but worth it for the security. 

Norm would probably remember the place.

Riley Smith

I remember CE Natco. I worked for CE several times on boilers way back when. That does sound like an ideal place. Most of the boats using the bayous in the eastern part of the river are big shrimp boats and houseboats. Everyone will watch out and help each other in these times. After Katrina there was a 80' steel hull aground near the I-10 bridge over the river, come from who knows where. Luckily, it's early in the season and mostly what happens then are rain events. Which is a needed commodity in many areas. We're getting sluff off it now....an occasional shower coming in off the gulf. It's actually pretty nice because it isn't hot and the kids have been in the pool most of the day. I laughed at them getting out when it started raining. The My Radar app is excellent for planning activities around those sailing deluges except out into the deeper gulf and a day away where you have to PAY for that information. We'll see....
Riley

Norm L.

Yes, Frank. I made a number of trips there for loadouts. Didn't they do some large yacht construction there for a short time?

Frank B.

CE Natco closed the plant mid eighties and I had moved to Tulsa but was responsible for the property.  Had two guys down there that took care of the place, shipped things that needed to be shipped, ran the bridge cranes periodically to keep them from freezing up. The property was either sold or leased to Avondale at some point in the late eighties.  Not sure what they built there or if they even kept it for any length of time, I had moved to Tupelo by then and was no longer involved with the company or property.