Precision 18 front hatch

Started by Chickenhawk, Jun 20, 2024, 10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chickenhawk

Hello all,
I've just noticed 2 hairline cracks in the plastic frame surrounding my front hatch cover. I am not aware of any leaking.
I'm thinking of calk and duct tape to get me through the sailing season and replacing the hatch in the autumn.

Has anyone on the forum been through this? Thoughts? Advice?
Thanks!

tjspiel

The companionway hatch that you get into the cabin through or the forward hatch with the smoked acrylic glass on the cabin top?

What year is your P-18?

Chickenhawk

It's the smoked hatch forward of the mast. I replaced the companionway last fall.

The boat is an '89.

Thanks!

tjspiel

I would use a marine sealant like 3M's 4200 as opposed to something that might have silicone in it. You generally want to avoid silicone based sealants on a boat.

I'm assuming that it's on the frame portion that's attached to the boat as opposed to the frame around the glass.

Those exact hatches aren't made anymore so it's hard to find replacements. The newer P-18s use hatches from Bomar but it's not clear whether any of their stock sizes fit. You can get replacements from Precision but they are $$$$.

I was able to find a used one on E-Bay. I think the originals were made by Grey (or Gray) Industries who was bought out by Pompanette and I think they were bought by Bomar. Using some creative searches on Ebay might turn something up. Even if you can't find one completely intact you might find one that has the piece you need.

Chickenhawk

As expected, a very helpful response!

I am referring to the frame around the glass. Im going to ebay next!

Thanks!
Patrick