I guess Columbus is still on the way from Finisterre to Bay Springs Lake

Started by Frank B., Jul 21, 2024, 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank B.

Out on Bay Springs Lake for a little cruise around on a friends boat and saw this.  Not the first time, have seen the trio of replicas on occasion.  A few years back one of them stopped at my marina while I was up working on my sailboat and invited me aboard for a chat and tour.

You cannot view this attachment.

Timm R Oday25

Norm L.

Is it still okay to flog the crew, but worth being the crew for the grog ration?

Frank B.

Quote from: Norm L. on Jul 22, 2024, 04:17 PMIs it still okay to flog the crew, but worth being the crew for the grog ration?

Not sure about that, seems reasonable, however when I did my tour some of the crew were young women, don't think ole Chris had a coed crew.  Additionally, when I saw the ship Saturday they were traveling at fairly high rate of speed with no sails up so an iron jenny of the diesel variety was in play, another thing Columbus could only dream of.  Heading towards Divide Cut, impossible to sail unless you had a strong north or south wind and you could only go in whichever direction the wind was blowing, a hundred yards to tack that beast would result in no gain I fear.

Captain Kidd

Saw the Pinta a few years back. One of my church members treated me to a tour.

Norm L.

I wondered about sailing such a ship in confined waters. I'm not sure what that was. It looks a bit like a carrack but I can't tell if the foremast had a yard.

There were some good old days on Penobscot Bay and the windjammer fleet. In the summer half the school would go home for half the summer. Staying there was good as a Junior and Senior as there were no classes, just watch standing and ship maintenance. When a windjammer came in, usually two a week, we would fraternize with the crew. There were many young lady teachers or nurses on holiday.
I also spent the last summer mainly doing maintenance and living aboard DIANA on a mooring in Smith Cove across the Bagaduce River from the town and the dock. The crew didn't have grog but did have beer over the side in the cold water in a nylon mesh laundry bag.