Hello P21 owners, Help!

Started by eaglecreeksailor22, Jul 04, 2024, 11:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaglecreeksailor22

I am considering a P21 but have only seen a video and did not see any inspection/access port to the bilge area. Can you advise how to check for water in the bilge. The cooler was in place in the video, access might be behind it? Thanks in advance for the help.

tjspiel

Quote from: eaglecreeksailor22 on Jul 04, 2024, 11:10 AMI am considering a P21 but have only seen a video and did not see any inspection/access port to the bilge area. Can you advise how to check for water in the bilge. The cooler was in place in the video, access might be behind it? Thanks in advance for the help.

On my P18, there's an inspection port both below the cooler and behind it. I suspect the one behind it is not standard.

gary-s

My P21 has an inspection port under the cooler which gives you a view of the bilge and centerboard. Also has another inspection port behind the cooler for a look under the cockpit floor.
BTW, mine is up for sale. Sailboatlistings.com
Hate to see her go, but at 78 years young this fall I guess it's time.

eaglecreeksailor22

Thanks for the info Gary. I too will be 78 in August, I do have a slip at a sail club and the boat will stay there year round with mast up. If I had to launch each time I would stay with my P165 which responds to the wind quicker than I do. I love the P165 but have had water coming over the side before and need something a bit more stable as I single hand 99% of the time. I am in Indiana so staying as local as possible for boat purchase.

Straander

There's a 2008 Precision 23 for sale on local Craigslist (first precision boat I've seen for sale locally) and daaaaaaamn it has me dreaming. Really wish I was at a place in life where a marina slot was an option for me. I'd love to explore the San Juan's and a '23 would be perfect.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

talbot

Our P21 has done well in Puget Sound, and might be easier to launch. The trick is to find ANY Precisions on the west coast. I was lusting after that P28 that was for sale in Seattle earlier this year. I mean, we'd have to quit our jobs, move from Oregon, find a place to live with marina space that doesn't have a waiting list longer than our life spans, and win the lottery. Not necessarily in that order.

In the meantime, keep in mind that the folks in the Salish Sea Small Boat Association cruise all around the San Juan and Gulf islands in dinghies. I think they have annual meet-ups at Sucia in the U.S. and Montague Harbor in BC. So a P165 doesn't preclude you from getting off the lake. Just means you need to be careful and plan ahead.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon

Straander

Can you please link me to this group Talbot? I've done a lot of searching for local trailer sailor groups when I first got my P165 and had no luck finding one that was active.
(Seattle potter yachters group is completely dead, and the port townsend small boat group is pretty much focused solely on the Port Townsend area, and mostly just for wooden boats at that)

Quote from: talbot on Jul 10, 2024, 06:19 PMIn the meantime, keep in mind that the folks in the Salish Sea Small Boat Association cruise all around the San Juan and Gulf islands in dinghies. I think they have annual meet-ups at Sucia in the U.S. and Montague Harbor in BC. So a P165 doesn't preclude you from getting off the lake. Just means you need to be careful and plan ahead.
Vessel: Precision 165 "Irresolute"
Home Waters: Coastal Washington

davepowell

Mine has access ports both under and in back of the cooler step.

talbot

https://salishseasmallboatrendezvous.wordpress.com/
That's the link to SSSBS. Their Galiano Is rendezvous was in May. Sucia Is rendezvous was last week. The NW. Maritime Center's Salish 100 (Olympia-Port Townsend) is still on the water. They take out tomorrow.
Talbot Bielefeldt
Precision 21 "Starlight"
Fern Ridge Lake, Oregon