I’m back believe it or not -

Started by Jan Pittard, Jul 28, 2024, 10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jan Pittard

Hey yall life has been a trip - I never got my Catalina 22 refurb done and ended up giving it away when dad sold his property. I'm getting ready to sell cheap thrills as well since I never got her done but we did get a new to us boat - my husband of 5 years - Mike K and non sailor - yet....

And I have so many questions that I know CB and others will know some answers to...

I have missed this forum, sailing, and the water but life blessed us with a tow vehicle after getting rear ended- and a great deal on a little sail boat that is much more comfortable than my little super porpoise -

I cracked up when we drove to Brownwood and the insignia on the sail was a tornado - the guy had never sailed it, bought from an elderly couple, stored it for 5 years but needs the shop space -

Sooo it's a Texas Tornado Dinghy
Wasn't looking for a racer just a days sailor to teach my guy about sailing -
Hoping he loves it -

It has a piece of wood with dry rot to replace that serves as the main sheet block anchor. And new trailer tires

Is BOOTs still a thing?

I found a sailing club up at lake arrowhead which is reasonably close to where we have the boat temporarily stored.

The boat was manufactured by Fillips in San Angelo - apparently the owner and his wife dressed in matching bathing suits that matched their boats - I bet they were a hoot.

Looking for a manual, rigging assistance, and any other helpful advice re this boat - I haven't taken any photos of the boat overall - but it looks great and sail data says it has Portsmouth rating of 91?

Anyway once we have new tires on it it's definitely trailerable - looking forward to trying out different spots with her. We don't have a name for her so suggestions welcome

Jan Pittard - from the early 2000s BOOTs early facilitator miss y'all

Captain Kidd

Welcome back! I've been a TSBB member since the very early 2000's, likely 2000 itself. I began sailing in 1999 when I bought my first boat and found the forum shortly thereafter. I do believe I recollect your name. I certainly remember BOOTS though I have never attended any TSBB rendezvous. Our ranks here have thinned out considerably since those days. Lot's of folks have moved on and a few have joined.

Congrats on the marriage, tow vehicle and Tornado! Sounds like you're about set. I would think the Tornado would be a nice boat to learn on.

As always, we love pictures! The tires will be easy enough. The wood rot? need to see it. Doesn't sound difficult.

Will look forward to your progress.

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.

Wayne Howard

Welcome Back, Jan.

I think BOOTS died when you left. I haven't seen another posting for it.

I sold Unole/Necessity back to Charlie Jones and moved up to a bigger boat in 2011.

And unfortunately, I know nothing about your new-to-you boat. But you could name it Twister.  ;)

Here is the link to sailboat data that gives you all the measurements and a picture under sail.  https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tornado-texas/
Wayne Howard
Master and Commander of S/V Impetuous
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Nice to see you here again, Jan! 

Riley Smith

It's good to see you again! Still sailing S R Cat. Well, sidelined after surgery at the moment but it won't be long maybe. Hope you get the boat rigged. I have only three sails since I refurbed mine last winter, so she's itching. Maybe we'll be scratching in the fall!
Riley

Norm L.

That looks like it would be a lively boat and with the flat bottom aft could do some skiing.

The given specs are useful except for the maximum draft of 4.2' I guess that's true when it's loaded until the gunwales are awash.