Leaving for Northern Michigan tomorrow (Friday)

Started by rfrance0718, Aug 01, 2024, 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Yesterday my brother helped me lower the Oday's mast and haul the boat out. That part was really my biggest concern. All went fine and the boat is now on the trailer ready to roll. Tami and I are picking it up at our marina tomorrow evening and heading for Mackinaw City. We'll drive until 11;00 PM or so, sleep in the boat, and continue in the morning. That should leave about 3 hours in the trip, and give us plenty of time to rig and launch.

The first part of the trip is cruising in the area, including 2 nights at Mackinac Island, 2 nights at Beaver Island. And another 3 nights of not too sure yet. Then we'll return to Mackinaw City and Tami is going to tow the trailer home.

That leaves me with a 500 mile trip back to our marina (downstream). I'm looking forward to my 4th and longest trip through the North Channel. After that I'm hoping to do the 165 mile Tobermory to Port Huron run in a single hop. That will leave two 10 hour hops to get home, allowing 10 days in the North Channel. We'll see.

Norm L.

Fair wind Bob. I feel that your experience and background has pretty well topped up your sailing safety Black Box.
We also hope you never have to make a withdrawal.

Captain Kidd

Sounds very enjoyable. Have a safe but great time!

Spot

Going into Mackinaw City from the south on I75 is some road construction, single lane with cones and concrete dividers. If you can drive it in the daytime it would be nicer, it was hard on the eyes for me a couple nights ago.

Have a nice trip, the lakes were looking nice up there the next day.
Big dreams, small boats...

Spot

Quote from: Charles Brennan on Aug 01, 2024, 05:13 PMPICTURES! ;D

Mackinaw bridge and Manistique, MI beachside.

You cannot view this attachment.
You cannot view this attachment.
Big dreams, small boats...

Timm R Oday25

That's a real nice part of the country .We were just up there a few weeks back. Not having our boat with us
sure made it hard . Please have a safe journey home .
Yes we want pictures !

Noemi - Ensenada 20

Quote from: rfrance0718 on Aug 01, 2024, 01:32 PMThe first part of the trip is cruising in the area, including 2 nights at Mackinac Island, 2 nights at Beaver Island. And another 3 nights of not too sure yet.

I recommend you check out Garden Island.  It is uninhabited and has a Native American cemetery in the middle.  There is another smaller island to the west of the eastern cove, protecting the anchorage.  That water was clear clear clear.