Anchorage at St Helena Is

Started by rfrance0718, Aug 09, 2024, 09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

We hated to leave Beaver Island but wanted to get while the getting was good. Yesterday we sailed 32 miles East back towards the Straights of Mackinac to St. Helena Is. It is the only stopping point between Beaver Island and Mackinac, and it is mostly protected from the South and West. The Windy ap showed a SW breeze clocking to North at midnight and then back to the West. So we were going to see some wind, at 10 - 14 mph, but the waves were going to continue from the South all night.

We reached the anchorage at about 5:30 and found one neighbor already tucked in. I thought it would be best to set up just East of the other boat and Tami thought it would be more protected on the other side. I thought that both spots would be exposed to the northerly and I liked my spot for some vague notion, so that's where we went.

We were all set up, enjoyed dinner,  but Tami kept looking at her spot and thought that it looked calmer, and I had to agree, so we pulled up and moved. As it turned out my instincts were better as we couldn't get a good hold and were drifting towards are neighbor. Oh well, back to the original site. The winds did shift to the North, and built, but we had flat water. After dragging about 6 feet, the anchor set, and I monitored our position every 15 minutes for the next 2 hours before II felt secure and went to sleep.

It ended up being a decent night and now it's sunny with the forecast Westerly being nicely blocked. We are going to hang out until 11:00 and then head back under the bridge for St. Ignace. After this I'll grill some egg sandwiches andjust relax for a while.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Timm R Oday25

Thanks for bringing us along. That anchorage looks darn good from here