News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Beaver Island

Started by rfrance0718, Aug 07, 2024, 09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfrance0718

Yesterday we sailed from Mackinac Island to Beaver. It Was 45 mi due West, under the Big Mac Bridge. Started with a nice 8 knot broad reach, turned into a 6 knot wing on wing run, went to no wind motoring, and finished with a 7 knot beam reach. By that time I was getting lazy and I motor sailed with the 150 for the last 10 miles. Auto helm was engaged for the whole trip. Very interesting sailing with depths as shallow as 10 feet at times, with a few uncovered rocks and a wreck to avoid.

It was well worth the trip. Beaver is rustic and beautiful. There's a building boom going on so maybe a bit less than quaint. We had to wait 40 minutes for a table for dinner. Looking forward to more exploring today. You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Doug SC

Sounds like an all-around good day with a good number of miles under the hull.

Timm R Oday25

I hate to be the one to break it to you .. 40 minute wait ? Who cares ..you are on island time ...

rfrance0718

Well, we were told that it was the best food on the island, so ok to wait, but food was so-so at best. Hoping to find a more out of the way place tonight.

There was a local guy who sat down at an old upright piano and banged out some pretty great tunes. Nice version of The Wait.

Captain Kidd

I've crossed the bridge one time back in the early '80's. We were taking a group of teens on a mission trip to norther Ontario. We stopped at a visitor's center (I guess) and I remember watching a movie about how the bridge was built. We spent the night in Sault Ste. Marie.

Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more reports.