News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Marine radios

Started by Captain Kidd, Sep 10, 2024, 11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kidd

Ok, I think this topic is way too complicated from what I'm seeing but here goes. I'm getting information overload.

I had a Midland VHF marine Nautico radio. I took it on several trips and only actually used it 3 times: once when hailing the dockmaster in St. Pete, and twice when approaching a drawbridge. The last time was five years ago, and as I recall, I had trouble operating channel selection. I'm sure the problem was me and not the radio.

Now for my bad: I left the batteries in too long and ruined it. Ugh!

Which brings me to the present. I'm planning a trip P'cola Bay/Santa Rosa Sound in October. I was looking on Amazon and see a Midland GXT1000AZ 50 channel GMRS radio for $40. Turns out our church radios are GXT1000GK's which I believe are virtually the same radio. I could "borrow" one of these for a short period.

Is this radio suitable for coastal cruising as planned?

If I'm reading this correctly, channel 16 is programmed high power (5 amps) which requires a license. Seems I would need the high power on the water for longer range. Apparently a license runs $35 and lasts 10 years. Low and medium power don't require a license but the range is very limited. If I've read correctly, the license requirement is new as of 2023.

These radios have a LOT of FEATURES. My thinking is that I basically need channel 16 and the weather feature. These features are easy enough to figure out.

I've started watching a couple videos and have a manual. The videos lose me from the get-go using all these 2 and 3 letter abbreviations. Seems some basic knowledge might be a prerequisite. I'm going to continue reading and watching but thought I'd throw it out here for some initial feedback.

I'd like to use this radio if possible. Somewhere I heard/read that Standard Horizon HX300 series is a great radio but they run in the $150 range.

Thoughts? Comments.

MarshHen

Captain,

If you plan to use a handheld VHF radio on a recreational vessel that only travels domestically, you don't need a license.  I would not worry much about the radio features beyond monitoring channel 16 and checking the weather.  Also, note bridges in Florida use channel 9 for opening requests.  Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip.

Michael

Spot

Captain, I would lean towards a bespoke marine VHF + weather+ FM (I use a Standard Horizon HX40 with the float) rather than try to use another type of VHF handheld to access marine channels. There is a point with non-marine radios where you could/would need licensing from the FCC and the more bells and whistles a radio has, the more likely you are to fall down a rabbit hole of not being on the right frequency, power level, etc.
I use the weather and FM more around here than the two-way on the marine channels. This summer where I sailed we were radios on in the water and in communication with the dock master.

MarshHen, welcome to TSBB!

Big dreams, small boats...

Jim B., CD-25

GMRS is akin to Family Radio Service.  I may be wrong on this, but I think the only frequency they have in common with Marine Band Radios is channel 15.  I agree with Spot: you would be better served with a marine VHF; I've seen them on Amazon for $40.  Back in the day, I picked up a 2-pack of small VHF radios at Bass Pro Shop (inexpensive) so we could have one for the dinghy and a kayak.

Norm L.

Well covered. KISS. Phone is good for following weather on NOAA Marine if you have service. But, as said, weather and Channel 19 are the common uses. You can check on cruise information book on what channel is used by things like bridges in the state you are in. But I believe all will be on the standard ship-ship and ship-bridge Channel 9
Channel 16 is emergency/Mayday. Yacht to marina or harbor is Channel 68.

Happily, semaphore died decades ago.