News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Doing a halyard

Started by Riley Smith, Sep 20, 2024, 08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riley Smith

So the tools and supplies are gathered, along with the thimble, and ready, when I get a notion to do the job. The trouble with THAT is there have been a bonus of little hands and mouths to deal with, and the little terrorists were into any and everything. One lost HIS SHOES ( because his sister stole 'em) and MISSED SCHOOL!! She'd left them OUTSIDE and they were soaking wet when we DID find them.

Yes, it gets rather lively in this house!!! One was added to the list because he was sick, and we made paper airplanes. And whew!!! I can't even compete with a child anymore LOL! Not to mention I've been exposed to whatever pathogen the little germ factory has decided to infect everyone with. SO... sooner or later I'll dive off into it. The boat needs a new halyard to be viable, so with Prime Time upon us, I plan on sooner. But you know how I feel about plans...
Riley

Riley Smith

Ta DUM!

I wish I could actually say that and present a picture, but the FIRST attempt turned into a disaster. Doing a double braid eye requires marking the core and the cover at multiple places. It has multiple steps, too. Enough that I got confused. You know, stop and go,"come do this right now", and "you can go back now", as directed by SWMBO. Enough that it isn't salvageable. Enough that I have to start over. OK....I've GOT this. First, practice on some OTHER line, not the halyard. We'll see. I'm glad that I bought 2 expensive feet extra! That life of Riley sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be  >:(
Riley

Norm L.

YouTube tells you how to do things. If you look at more than one you find that there is more than just one way to do things. And that from the choices you don't always have the tools to do it like they do it. and if you make one slip or error...Oh, you've been there.

Ed

Hah, I get a lot of, "Come on Grampa, let's work on the boat!" when we are in the yard.  He loves to run around in the center cockpit and pull everything out of the cubbies to "fix" things.  He really wants to go sailing but his parents say he has to be able to swim before going with us.  He'll be three the 26th of December and we have arranged for private swim lessons starting in January 2025 at the YMCA.  Since my wife and I watch him M - F from 7 to 4 we get plenty of fun time together.  I only wish he hadn't quit taking naps, I really miss mine. 

Charles Brennan

Ed, "I only wish he hadn't quit taking naps, I really miss mine."
Really hit me where I live!!  ;D

Charles Brennan

Frank B.

I've done a few eye splices on double braid over the years to make halyards, boom vang sheets, etc. Each time I had to go to the YouTube for directions.  Then I bought a particular double braid that defied any attempts to do an eye splice. Can't remember exactly what it was, but it ended up being cut into pieces for non spliced duty. Hope that isn't what you have.