News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

Electronics Question

Started by Quantico Frank, Apr 13, 2023, 07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantico Frank

Hi, everyone! I am running a VHF microphone extension cable from my fixed VHF radio to a jack on an external bulkhead for an external mic in the cockpit. Problem is, I have a 23' cable with (possibly proprietary) factory connectors on both ends for what is for me in my P165 a three foot run. This leaves a big bunch of cable in the middle which I need to ball up and try to hide. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, find connectors for either end of this Standard Horizon 5 pin cable or a shorter version of the cable. Would you recommend cutting out the middle of the cable and re-splicing it together to make it shorter, or is this a really bad idea? I am "semi-competent" at doing the butt jointing and soldering involved.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

DBthal

Frank,

It is certainly a pain to deal with that long run of cable in our small boats.  However, I would be reluctant to cut and splice. The cable may be shielded with braided wire under the cover. The shielding would be difficult to butt splice.

Can you coil the cable and cable tie the excess in the space between the battery box & the back of the companionway step?

Dan
Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Quantico Frank

Good point about the shielding, Dan. Hadn't thought of that. I actually have the radio mounted in that tiny space behind the starboard cabin seat with the cable coiled up next to it, and now I think I'll keep it that way. Btw, the tip from Friday's HH about using the heavy duty Velcro to attach cables to the ceiling of the cabin has worked out like a dream for these cable runs. I'll take pix when I get a chance.

Riggerdood

I've got a similar situation on Rum Line Frank, except with the bluetooth module for the charge controller. I have it mounted pretty close to the controller, and there is about 20' of cable to deal with. The radio power and coax cables exit the bulkhead just above the module, so I just coiled up the module's cable and zip tied it to the radio wires. Not the prettiest solution, but it's tidy and out of the way.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Quantico Frank

Hahaha, that's the other cable bundle I have in the cabin, but that one is considerably smaller than the mic cable bundle. Still, it seems to be the best solution.

Riggerdood

Yeah, the BT module cable is very thin and easy to manage for sure.
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand