News:

Welcome to the new TSBB Forum! --- TSBB Chat Room is here!

Main Menu

A beach Ferrari?

Started by Norm L., Oct 02, 2024, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm L.

I got an email from a correspondent in Ireland that I have helped with some strange vessel valuations.
In our exchange he told me that he had just finished racing in a National Championship meet. With winds at 25 kts.
With a Topcat K3X Regatta, a single-handed beach catamaran.
Look it up if you are interested in go-fast sailboats. At about $17,000 plus shipping. It will just fit in a 20' container.

He was one that finished without flipping and with nothing broken. I think the bow design would help avoid digging into a sea and flipping.

Frank B.

When I was much, much younger I raced Hobie 16's for a while. That looks like a step up, the Hobie's had a crew of two for racing, although they were easy to single hand, think the extra was more for weight distribution, adjustable ballast so to speak.  I raced on a close friends boat, we rarely did very well, although both of us fit, we still carried a little too much weight over the class minimum, so those skinny coed teams that had to add weight to get to minimum had the advantage unless all legs were in heavy weather.

It didn't take too long before the thrill of being slung forward on a pitch pole while in the bucket riding the trapeze became a little too painful. ;) However, the hull form on that boat looks like it might be more resistant to that happening.

Spot

Ho-hum, another day at the office...thanks for the links!

You cannot view this attachment.
Big dreams, small boats...

Norm L.

I told him how amazed I was on him participating in a race under those conditions. He replied today that it took a week for him to recover.