Frustrating outboards

Started by Timm R Oday25, Oct 17, 2024, 07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timm R Oday25

After years of waiting ,I finally broke down and bought what I thought would be the perfect outboard .
I was way too eager when I purchased a used 8 horse Yamaha .
It came with a complete remote unit.
Thinking it wouldn't be a big deal to revert it back ,I handed over the cash and lugged the beast home.
For the life of me , I can't figure out how the tiller mounted shifter cable is routed .
 Nor can I find an actual wiring schematic on Yamahas website .
I've been in touch with a good friend who is a factory trained and certified mechanic and even he is stumped .
Are any of you able to recommend a dealership

Riley Smith

Oh, that can be a big deal I'm thinking. We "acquired" a 20 hp Honda that had been on a power boat. We didn't have a boat to use it on, so we sold it to some relatives looking for a skiff motor, but it didn't have a tiller handle. They told me it was a whole process to get a tiller handle and get it mounted correctly, and it was ALSO very expensive. Good luck with it.
Riley

Timm R Oday25

Riley , I'm already into the tiller handle for $600.00 Plus another $250 for the switches .
Clearly I would have  been better off buying a brand new one .
In for a penny in for a pound . I want this to look like it came from the factory .
It should be the last outboard I ever buy ..
I'm almost to the point of rowing everywhere.
The last time I rowed , I fell off the sailboat, bounced off the dinghy which caused the oars to fall in the water ..

Norm L.

It is unbelievble that there is no schematic. I would think that your closest Yamaha dealer would have access to a schematic. But also, that they wouldn't let you see it.

Timm R Oday25

Norm ..one would think so. The dealers I've talked to say it isn't worth their time .
"It's only an 8 horse " . The motor is several years  past what they service.Take your pick of excuses
I can find almost every part I need on several websites .
I've ordered parts from  both boats.net and Crowley's .
I was able to find a drawing detailing the 10 pin connector use for the remote .
I'm not sure why the actual schematic itself is so elusive .

Charles Brennan

Timm, You stated: "It came with a complete remote unit."
Seems to me,  ???  a guy from the up-north land of Red Green, would just bolt on a wheelbarrow handle and ty-rap the remote unit onto it!  ;D

As USUAL,  >:( You managed to specify a Yamaha 8 hp motor, WITHOUT telling us what year, or whether it was a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke.
Otherwise, we could point you to links like this one:

https://www.emanualonline.com/marines/outboard-engines/yamaha/8hp-models/8-hp-2-stroke/yamaha-8-hp-2-stroke-marine-outboard-84-96-service-manual-emo-464638.html?currency=USD&product_country=US&product_id=464638&placement=&adtype=pla&keyword=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw68K4BhAuEiwAylp3kllFS_3er3yT8Ou25k6DRE7ZmftGWTNvpPZK6LQqgZxfu42pONbSxBoCxzwQAvD_BwE

Hope this helps,
Charles Brennan

Timm R Oday25

Charles . My question was more about finding a knowledgeable dealer or source of information for Yamaha
The motor in question is a 2004 Yamaha 4 stroke 8 horse .
I was finally able to get some help from a dealer up in door county late this afternoon.
I still am not sure of the connections I need .
Once again thank you Charles

Riley Smith

That Honda had a gear shift on the handle IIRC. Big can o worms.
Riley