Finally got to try my new (to me) furler with an actual sail... in the backyard.

Started by tjspiel, Apr 23, 2023, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjspiel

Last Summer I got a practically unused jib from a Flying Scott. It was a hank-on which was fine since I didn't have a furler at the time.

But I did get a furler very late in the season. Too late to use it last year but after the boat came out of the water I cut the extrusion to length and ran the furling line.

I saved the jib conversion for the Winter which I just wrapped up last week. It was a little more complicated than anticipated. I didn't pay much attention to it when I bought it, but the jib has a bit of roach to it and two short battens about 7" long.

Battens and furling don't mix well. ;)

So making new batten pockets for vertical battens was part of the conversion. They're longer than the originals of course but still pretty short as far as battens go. Anyway, I was worried that either the roach wouldn't be supported well enough or the jib wouldn't furl neatly because of the battens.

Neither turned to be true (so far) so I'm pretty happy !

A partial replacement of my standing rigging was part of the process too and that had to wait until the boat came our of storage. I just have the back stay and lowers left to do. Would like to do something different with the back stay but haven't figured out exactly what yet so that will be a Fall or next Spring thing.

DBthal

Precision 165 "Simple Pleasure"
Sisu 22 "FogCutter"
Portage Pram "Tiny"

Quantico Frank

Nice job, Tom, seems like it took a lot of thought and creativity.
Precision 165 "Spirit" built 2011
Home port Quantico, VA, Potomac River

eaglecreeksailor22

Sounds like you took it to the next level. You will be happy with the furler, makes life simpler and safer.
Good job, thanks for sharing.

Riggerdood

Wow, yeah Tom, that's a bit more than just removing hanks and sewing on a luff tape. Glad it seems to work tho! It'll be interesting to see if an added side benefit of having the vertical battens is better sail shape when partially furled?

Are you considering adding a backstay adjuster?
1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

tjspiel

Quote from: Riggerdood on Apr 24, 2023, 11:51 AMWow, yeah Tom, that's a bit more than just removing hanks and sewing on a luff tape. Glad it seems to work tho! It'll be interesting to see if an added side benefit of having the vertical battens is better sail shape when partially furled?

Are you considering adding a backstay adjuster?

I am. :)

Riggerdood

1985 Rebel Spindrift 22 - Rum Line
1985 Achilles RIB - Achilles Last Stand

Tom G P 21

tjspiel

Quote from: Tom G P 21 on Apr 26, 2023, 07:43 AMJust out of curiosity what furler did you end up with?

It was a decision driven by budget rather than being the best choice for the boat. I found a used CDI FF2 for $100 last September. Had to drive across state lines to get it.

An FF1 would be smaller, lighter and is what is often used on that boat. But the FF2 works and I can easily sell everything but the extrusion on eBay for $100 if I come across something better down the road.

The extrusion is fine but I had to cut it shorter for my boat than for boats an FF2 would be typically used on. So there would be a pretty small market for that especially since they are so difficult to transport.